White Collar Defense and Investigations
- Holland & Knight's white collar attorneys are a dedicated team of highly experienced professionals from government, industry and academia, including former United States attorneys, a former deputy chief of staff to the attorney general of the United States, a former judge, a former U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission chief trial counsel, as well as former senior members of the U.S. Department of Justice.
- Clients select Holland & Knight for their most complicated and serious legal problems because our combination of experience and knowledge enables us to effectively and aggressively represent them in any governmental inquiry.
- The members of our White Collar Defense and Investigations Team have tried hundreds of criminal and civil cases before judges and juries and negotiated for clients with all of the federal law enforcement and investigative agencies.
Recent corporate scandals have made effective and honest corporate governance the chief priority for every company. Proactive and incisive defense counsel in this area is a must. Reacting swiftly to any serious or potential problems can be an important factor affecting the final outcome.
A Distinguished Team of Professionals
In addition to creating and implementing corporate compliance programs to help your company avoid problems before they occur, Holland & Knight is extremely well positioned to help you assess and cope with allegations of wrongdoing should those circumstances arise. Our White Collar Defense Team is comprised of seasoned professionals, including a former judge, as well as former federal prosecutors, and federal and state regulators.
Investigating Possible Misconduct
Corporations are under increasing pressure to self-report corporate wrongdoing. When your company becomes aware of possible misconduct, the matter must be investigated thoroughly and quickly. We understand the sensitivities involved in such matters and can advise you whether or not the situation needs to be disclosed to the authorities and at what point in time that needs to be done. In such instances, you can count on our extensive experience to guide you through the entire process. This includes conducting internal investigations using seasoned investigators and consultants, such as our Congressional Investigations Team, many of whom have had notable careers with federal law enforcement agencies.
We have substantial experience representing public and privately-held companies, broker-dealers, investment banks, accounting firms, and other market participants, along with their officers, directors, and managers in both criminal securities investigations by the Department of Justice and civil enforcement investigations by the SEC, including high-stakes matters. With a former SEC Regional Trial Counsel and more than a dozen former federal prosecutors, including the former deputy chief of staff to the Attorney General of the United States and the former chief of the Eastern District of Virginia’s Financial Crimes & Public Corruption Unit, we advise clients based on a combination of extensive legal knowledge and a deep understanding of the government process obtained from our experience. We handle all phases of securities enforcement matters, including informal and formal investigations, testimony, Wells Submissions, negotiated resolutions, and the trial of administrative, civil and criminal proceedings. In addition to the SEC, our attorneys represent clients before the Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC), self-regulatory organizations like the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA), and state securities regulators. We also lead internal investigations, create corporate compliance programs, and perform in-house compliance training.
Anti-Money Laundering Prevention and Defense
Dealing with the wide array of anti-money laundering issues is one of our strengths. If you are a bank, corporation, officer or employee under investigation for or charged with money laundering offenses – or if you face forfeiture actions related to such allegations – you can be assured that we are likely to have acted as defense counsel in similar situations.
Our other legal services in this area include the following:
- developing and implementing anti-money laundering compliance manuals and programs for financial institutions and other clients in connection with the Bank Secrecy Act and the USA PATRIOT Act
- advising in regard to cash-reporting obligations
- training your employees on pertinent anti-money laundering practices and principles
- reviewing suspicious transactions and, as appropriate, preparing and filing suspicious activity reports
- developing and implementing programs to comply with trade embargoes and various government terrorist and prohibited parties lists
Experience That Counts in White Collar Defense
In a climate in which prosecutors eagerly pursue corporations suspected of wrongdoing, the ultimate goal of our compliance and white collar defense attorneys is to help your company minimize the likelihood of any corporate misconduct and deal effectively with the consequences of alleged wrongdoing. We also understand how such sensitive matters can affect the reputation and value of your company.
You can count on our team’s commitment to your case if you require counsel in grand jury and civil fraud investigations and prosecutions of alleged business crimes in the United States or internationally. Our wide-ranging experience in this area includes matters involving bank fraud, bribery, conflicts of interest, mail and wire fraud, insider trading, tax fraud, antitrust issues, environmental offenses, False Claims Act defense, Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and international trade violations.