Jessica Kirk is a tax attorney in Holland & Knight's Dallas office. Ms. Kirk focuses her practice on federal, state and local taxation of corporations, partnerships, individuals and nonprofit organizations.
Ms. Kirk represents taxpayers in IRS audits, appeals and tax litigation and provides clients with tax planning advice on mergers and acquisitions (M&As), the operation and dispositions of partnerships and limited liability companies (LLCs), and private equity transactions.
Ms. Kirk has previous experience as a tax insurance broker, where she advised clients through each step of the tax insurance process, including policy underwriting, drafting and negotiations, to secure coverage for complex U.S. federal, state, local and foreign tax issues. Ms. Kirk leverages this knowledge to negotiate tax insurance policies for her clients and to advise insurance companies and underwriters in evaluating and placing tax insurance policies.
In addition, Ms. Kirk also counsels clients on the organization, operation and termination of nonprofit corporations as well as obtaining and maintaining exemptions for these organizations from federal income, state franchise, and sales and uses taxes.
- Represents large business taxpayers in IRS audits and appeals involving oil and gas, and energy tax issues, partnership tax issues as well as tax litigation and procedural issues, including statutes of limitations, penalties and interest
- Represents taxpayers in Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requests, appeals, mediation and lawsuits
- Advised a multinational chemical company that operates in a variety of industries on the acquisition of a major tranche of an American exploration and production company's oil and gas assets in the Eagle Ford shale in south Texas for $1.4 billion
- Advised various private equity sponsors and portfolio companies in connection with the acquisition and divestiture of oil and gas assets
- Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude
- University of Nebraska, M.S.
- University of Nebraska, B.S.
- U.S. Tax Court
- State Bar of Texas, Tax Section, Partnership and Real Estate Tax Committee, Chair, 2023-Present; Tax Law-in-a-Day, Vice-Chair, 2023-Present
- Dallas Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA) Young Professionals Council, 2019-2021
- American Bar Association, Section of Taxation
- Dallas Association of Young Lawyers (DAYL), Continuing Legal Education Committee; Law Student Assistance Committee
- Dallas Bar Association, Tax Section
- Dallas Women Lawyers Association
- State Bar of Texas, Tax Section
- State Bar of Texas, Tax Section, Tax Leadership Academy, 2022-2023
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Dallas Tax Law Ones to Watch, 2021, 2022
- State Bar of Texas, Tax Section, Law Students Pursuing Tax Law Scholarship Recipient, 2016