Jessica Kirk is a tax attorney in Holland & Knight's Dallas office. Ms. Kirk focuses her practice on federal, state and local taxation of corporations, partnerships, individuals and nonprofit organizations.
Ms. Kirk represents taxpayers in IRS audits, appeals and tax litigation and provides clients with tax planning advice on mergers and acquisitions (M&As), the operation and dispositions of partnerships and limited liability companies (LLCs), and private equity transactions.
In addition, Ms. Kirk counsels clients on the organization, operation and termination of nonprofit corporations as well as obtaining and maintaining exemptions for these organizations from federal income, state franchise, and sales and uses taxes.
Prior to rejoining Holland & Knight, Ms. Kirk worked as a tax insurance broker, where she advised clients through each step of the tax insurance process, including policy underwriting, drafting and negotiations, to secure coverage for complex U.S. and foreign tax issues.
- Represents large business taxpayers in IRS audits and appeals involving oil and gas, and energy tax issues, partnership tax issues as well as tax litigation and procedural issues, including statutes of limitations, penalties and interest
- Represents taxpayers in Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requests, appeals, mediation and lawsuits
- Advised various private equity sponsors and portfolio companies in connection with the acquisition and divestiture of oil and gas assets
- Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude
- University of Nebraska, M.S.
- University of Nebraska, B.S.
- U.S. Tax Court
- Dallas Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA) Young Professionals Council, 2019-2021
- American Bar Association, Section of Taxation
- Dallas Association of Young Lawyers (DAYL), Continuing Legal Education Committee; Law Student Assistance Committee
- Dallas Bar Association, Tax Section
- Dallas Women Lawyers Association
- State Bar of Texas, Tax Section
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Dallas Tax Law Ones to Watch, 2021, 2022
- State Bar of Texas, Tax Section, Law Students Pursuing Tax Law Scholarship Recipient, 2016