Gary Klubok is a Washington, D.C., and Miami lawyer and member of Holland & Knight's Litigation Section, White Collar Defense and Investigations Team, and Consumer Protection Defense and Compliance Team. Mr. Klubok is trilingual and uses Spanish and Portuguese to help businesses and individuals throughout Latin America.
White Collar Defense and Investigations
As a Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE) and Certified Anti-Money Laundering Specialist (CAMS), Mr. Klubok assists clients with matters involving fraud, money laundering, corruption, bribery, compliance, Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), extradition and forfeiture matters, in addition to representing financial institutions in Bank Secrecy Act and USA Patriot Act anti-money laundering (AML) matters. He has also helped advise Fortune 500 boards of directors on compliance. Mr. Klubok has always been interested in white collar and investigations work, having received the top grade and CALI Excellence for the Future Award in his International Anti-Corruption Law class during law school.
Commercial Disputes and E-Discovery
Mr. Klubok works with companies and individuals to resolve commercial disputes, especially litigation relating to fraudulent schemes, unfair and deceptive practices, contractual disputes and business entities. He is skilled in complex commercial matters that have a significant e-discovery component by assisting with document extraction, coding and searching.
Mr. Klubok maintains an active pro bono practice. He volunteers with Florida's Guardian ad Litem office, where he helps to represent abused, abandoned and neglected children in Miami-Dade County Courts. In addition, Mr. Klubok helps asylum seekers become lawful permanent residents, particularly Spanish- and Portuguese-speaking clients. He also has represented parents in Latin America who allege their child's other parent illegally took their child to South Florida, advocating for the foreign parents in U.S. federal courts under the Hague Convention.
During law school, Mr. Klubok was selected to intern for the Honorable John D. Couriel of the Florida Supreme Court as part of the Court's Internship Program for Distinguished Florida Law Students. He also interned for the Honorable Jose E. Martinez of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida.
- Law360, "Competing Miami Christmas Event Can Go On, Court Says," November 28, 2023
- Law.com, "Holland & Knight Prevails in Round 1 of Holiday Lawsuit Brought by 'Santa'," November 13, 2023
- Law360, "Bank Scheme Ruling Spotlights Clash Over Limits of Fraud," November 3, 2021
- Advised a private, global company before the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) regarding allegations of violating the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA); interviews and review of documents were in Spanish only
- Advised a private businessperson before the DOJ regarding allegations of violating the FCPA; interviews and review of documents were in Spanish only
- Advised the board of directors of a Fortune 500 company regarding training on FCPA compliance
- Advised a financial institution before Puerto Rico's Office of the Commissioner of Financial Institutions (OCIF); interviews and review of documents were in Spanish only
- Advised a depository institution before the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network (FinCEN) and the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) regarding allegations of violating suspicious activity reporting (SARs) and currency transaction reporting (CTRs) requirements under the Bank Secrecy Act
- Advised a financial institution before FinCEN and the DOJ regarding allegations of violating SARs and CTRs requirements under the Bank Secrecy Act
- Advised a financial institution before the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) related to public bribery and fraud; interviews and review of documents were largely conducted in Spanish
- Advised a business executive before the DOJ in an investigation for wire fraud, conspiracy to defraud the U.S. and the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act (RICO)
- Advised a company before the DOJ related to the handling of government information
- Advised an individual before the DOJ related to private bribery and bid rigging
- Advised a company before the DOJ related to transporting large amounts of currency under the Bank Secrecy Act
- Advised financial institutions regarding U.S. sanctions placed upon Russia in 2022
- Advised a financial institution regarding an internal investigation into alleged breaches of fiduciary duties by an executive
- Defeated an emergency, preliminary injunction seeking to shut down a client's holiday festival weeks before opening
- Represented a Brazilian company in a lawsuit related to intellectual property (IP); interviews with information technology (IT) personnel were conducted in Portuguese to request and produce documents for discovery, along with document review
- Represented a Brazilian company in a lawsuit related to commercial fraud from a bribery scheme; interviews with IT personnel and auditors were conducted in Portuguese to request and produce documents for discovery
- Won a motion for judgment on the pleadings, receiving dismissal of a multimillion-dollar negligence lawsuit
- Represented a parent who alleged under the Hague Convention that his child was improperly kept in the United States; interviews and witness preparation were conducted in Portuguese
- University of Miami School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude
- John Jay College of Criminal Justice, M.S., Protection Management, emphasis in Emergency Management
- John Jay College of Criminal Justice, B.S., Security Management, with honors
- District of Columbia
- Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE), Association of Certified Fraud Examiners (ACFE)
- Certified Anti-Money Laundering Specialist (CAMS), Association of Certified Anti-Money Laundering Professionals (ACAMS)
- CALI Excellence for the Future Award, International Anti-Corruption Law and Practice, University of Miami School of Law
- CALI Excellence for the Future Award, Legal Communication and Research II, University of Miami School of Law
- Dean's Certificate of Achievement Award in Civil Procedure I, University of Miami Law School of Law