Jessica Kramer is a litigation attorney in Holland & Knight's Tampa office. Ms. Kramer has extensive experience assisting individuals and businesses with contract disputes, class action lawsuits, appeals, and other complex litigation.
Since joining Holland & Knight, Ms. Kramer has gained significant experience representing companies in data privacy litigation, and has defended dozens of companies in high-stakes lawsuits arising from data breaches, a company's use of technology on company websites, and other privacy issues. Ms. Kramer also advises clients on data privacy-related issues, including responses to data breaches and updates to customer-facing privacy policies and other terms.
Ms. Kramer has experience litigating cases in arbitration proceedings as well as jury trials and bench trials throughout the State of Florida.
Prior to joining Holland & Knight, Ms. Kramer served as a federal law clerk for two years to the Honorable James S. Moody Jr. of the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida.
At Holland & Knight, Ms. Kramer has achieved high levels of success for clients, including the following:
- successfully sought early dismissal of a lawsuit filed in connection with a data breach incident, alleging claims on behalf of a potential class of more than 1 billion people allegedly affected by the data breach incident
- successfully sought early dismissal of a lawsuit alleging claims on behalf of a nationwide class of people challenging the failure to receive refunds for a purchase
- successfully sought early dismissal of a lawsuit filed against a women's healthcare provider in connection with a data breach incident
- drafted and argued motions for summary judgment, which resulted in a Florida state court granting summary judgment in client's favor for a nearly $7 million breach of contract claim
- successfully obtained a court order dissolving a writ of garnishment
- obtained a partial summary judgment in favor of a governmental entity related to environmental remediation and a favorable ruling on related attorneys' fees issues
Ms. Kramer is passionate about community service and pro bono work. She regularly volunteers for pro bono cases through Bay Area Legal Services and other legal aid entities in Florida. Ms. Kramer is also an active member of The Florida Bar's Appellate Practice Section's Pro Bono Committee.
Ms. Kramer currently serves on the Hillsborough Education Foundation's Governance Committee, and she recently completed a four-year mentorship of a local high school student through the foundation's Take Stock in Children Program. Ms. Kramer mentors young women lawyers and law students through the Hillsborough Association for Women Lawyers' mentoring program, and she also mentors law students through Holland & Knight's 1L Mentoring Program. Each year, Ms. Kramer volunteers to coach law students preparing for upcoming moot court competitions across the country. In 2020 and 2021, Ms. Kramer helped coordinate the 9/11 National Day of Service for Holland & Knight's Tampa office.
While in law school, Ms. Kramer competed in national advocacy competitions and won several awards for brief-writing and oral argument. As a member of the Florida Moot Court Team at the University of Florida Levin College of Law, she competed at the 2016 John J. Gibbons National Criminal Procedure Moot Court Competition. At the competition, Ms. Kramer and her teammate placed first out of 43 other law schools and Ms. Kramer was awarded best final round oralist. Ms. Kramer and her teammate also placed first at the 29th Annual Zimmerman Kiser Sutcliffe Final Four competition, and Ms. Kramer was awarded best brief, best oralist, and best overall competitor.
In 2017, Ms. Kramer founded the University of Florida Levin College of Law's Bar Prep Mentoring Program, which provided support to University of Florida law school graduates studying for the Florida Bar examination. She actively participates in University of Florida student and alumni efforts as a member of the University of Florida’s Law Alumni Council and Florida Blue Key. In law school, Ms. Kramer received the Helen Gibel Blechman Memorial Award for earning the most community service hours in her graduating class.
- Represent a generic manufacturer of drug product in multidistrict litigation (MDL) involving tens of thousands of plaintiffs and dozens of related pending appeals
- Represented a component part manufacturer in successful resolution of tortious interference claim brought by an industry competitor
- Represented numerous companies in litigation alleging violation of states wiretapping statutes, including Florida and California statutes, based on operation of companies’ website
- Represent various companies in employment litigation, including lawsuits alleging age discrimination, sexual harassment, and violations of the Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993 (FMLA)
- Represented a limited liability company (LLC) member in litigation involving membership interests and business investment
- Successfully represented a global company in litigation filed after company's public disclosure of a data breach incident, and obtained early dismissal of the lawsuit, which alleged claims on behalf of a potential class of more than 1 billion people
- Represented dozens of businesses defending class action lawsuits filed after a data breach incident
- Defended numerous companies in data privacy lawsuits involving software utilized on companies' websites, including session replay software
- Successfully represented a licensor of sports memorabilia in dismissal of litigation based on contractual release in prior agreement
- Successfully represented a company in lawsuit to enforce terms of a previous settlement agreement
- Represented a life insurance company in litigation over benefits payable under life insurance contract, including issues related to replacement coverage and a temporary coverage agreement
- Represented various commercial landlords and commercial tenants in litigation and pre-litigation disputes, resulting in favorable settlements and/or productive lease negotiations
- Successfully sought partial relief for clients involving issues related to whether a court or an arbitrator could determine whether parties to a contract agreed to international arbitration
- University of Florida Levin College of Law, J.D., cum laude
- University of Florida, B.S., Journalism and Psychology, cum laude
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- The Florida Bar
- Young Lawyers Division Board of Governors, 2021-Present
- Appellate Practice Section, Pro Bono Committee
- Law Related Education Committee, 2021-Present
- Federal Bar Association
- Reece Smith Jr. Litigation American Inn of Court
- Hillsborough County Bar Association (HCBA)
- Young Lawyers Division Board of Directors, Ex-Officio, 2021-Present
- Young Lawyers Division, Pro Bono Committee, 2021-2023
- Hillsborough Education Foundation (HEF)
- Governance Committee, 2019-Present
- Take Stock in Children, Mentor, 2018-2022
- Hillsborough Association for Women Lawyers (HAWL)
- University of Florida Levin College of Law Alumni Council, 2022-Present
- Florida Blue Key, President, 2016; Vice President of Membership, 2015-2016
- Florida Moot Court Team, Executive Board Member, 2015-2016
- Rising Star, Florida Super Lawyers magazine, 2023
- Frank J. Maturo Jr. Outstanding Alumni Award, Florida Blue Key, 2021
- Holland & Knight Pro Bono All-Star, 2020, 2021
- University of Florida Hall of Fame Inductee
- The Order of Barristers
- William C. Gaither Award, Most Outstanding Moot Court Team Member, 2016
- Girl Scout Gold Award