Marie E. Larsen
Marie Larsen is an attorney in Holland & Knight's New York office and practices a broad in range of general commercial disputes, as well as transportation and maritime matters.
Ms. Larsen's diverse litigation practice includes representation of clients in commercial disputes and cross-border litigation, including breach of contract, business torts, breach of fiduciary duty, indemnification and contribution and cases involving the Uniform Commercial Code as well as U.S. Bankruptcy Code Chapter 15 actions. Ms. Larsen practices regularly in federal and state courts in New York. She also has experience in matters pending before the courts of the Republic of the Marshall Islands.
Ms. Larsen has litigated and provided guidance on corporate governance issues to corporate boards, directors and executives. Among other issues, she has addressed corporate control issues, fiduciary duties, proxy fights and shareholder activism under Delaware and other applicable law.
In addition, Ms. Larsen's maritime-related experience includes a broad range of domestic and international maritime issues, including Rule B attachment and Rule C arrest proceedings; international and domestic judgment enforcement and asset discovery; maritime bankruptcy and cross-border insolvency; maritime contracts and commercial litigation and arbitration. Ms. Larsen has extensive experience in a wide range of issues relating to U.S. maritime liens. She successfully advised more than 20 vessel owners and charterers in connection with the bankruptcy of O.W. Bunker & Trading A/S and its worldwide affiliates. Ms. Larsen's work included protecting and defending owners' and charterers' vessels from arrest and attachment in the United States based on competing maritime lien and attachment claims.
Ms. Larsen is a member of the firm's Asset Recovery Team and has substantial experience in foreign country judgment recognition and enforcement, including the use of various U.S. procedures for asset discovery, restraint and execution, including 28 U.S.C. § 1782 and state procedures. Ms. Larsen frequently serves as counsel for liquidators and other representatives appointed in foreign insolvency proceedings in various jurisdictions. She has also successfully litigated complex alter ego liability issues and the clawback of fraudulent transfer of assets.
- New York University School of Law, J.D.
- University of Southern California, B.A., magna cum laude
- New York
- All State Courts in New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- American Bar Association
- Maritime Law Association
- Women's International Shipping & Trading Association (WISTA)
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Admiralty & Maritime Law, 2024
- Holland & Knight Rising Star, Class of 2023
- The Legal 500 USA, Transport: Shipping - Litigation and Regulation, 2021, 2022
- Rising Star, New York Super Lawyers magazine, 2017-2022
- Phi Beta Kappa