David Lawrence focuses his practice on commercial real estate development and finance matters. His practice includes representing both lenders and borrowers in a variety of loan origination transactions for interim, construction, and permanent financing, and in connection with working out existing loans.
Mr. Lawrence also represents real estate developers in connection with the acquisition, sale, financing, leasing, and development of real estate, including multifamily, office, retail, industrial, hospitality, and mixed-use properties. He has represented a range of developers in drafting and negotiations related to purchase and sale agreements, joint venture and preferred equity agreements, financing documents, and closing documents. Mr. Lawrence also has experience related to obtaining financing for Property Assessed Clean Energy (PACE) loans on commercial property.
In addition to representing various lenders, Mr. Lawrence has also represented lenders and securitized commercial mortgage-backed securities (CMBS) trusts in the resolution of defaulted or troubled loan workouts, including loan sales, maturity default resolutions, collateral foreclosures, deeds-in-lieu of foreclosure, loan payoffs, and sales of REO properties.
- Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law, J.D., cum laude
- University of Notre Dame, B.B.A., Finance, cum laude
- The Real Estate Council (TREC) Associate Leadership Council, Class of 2021
- Thompson & Knight LLP, Hiring Partner, 2021
- Recruiting/Hiring Committee, Thompson & Knight LLP, Hiring Partner for Dallas and New York, 2019-2020
- American College of Mortgage Attorneys (ACMA), Fellow, 2019-present
- Business Council for the Arts Leadership Arts Institute, Class of 2018-2019
- The Real Estate Council, Young Guns, 2011-present
- Dallas Association of Young Lawyers, 2010-present
- Diversity & Inclusion Committee, Thompson & Knight LLP, 2019-present
- Notre Dame Club of Dallas, 2007-present
- National Advisory Board for NALP Foundation, 2019-present
- Recommended Attorney, The Legal 500 US by Legalease (Real Estate), 2019
- Best Lawyers Under 40 in Dallas, by D Magazine, 2019-2021
- Best Lawyers in Dallas (Real Estate), D Magazine, 2020-2021