David J. Lisko is a Florida-based litigation and business attorney. Mr. Lisko acts as an outside general counsel for midsize companies, entrepreneurs, celebrities and high-net-worth individuals. In his civil litigation practice, Mr. Lisko advises clients in cases involving breach of contract, breach of non-compete agreements, fraud, trademark and/or copyright infringement, unfair and deceptive business practices, negligence, personal injury, retaliation, misappropriation, shareholder disputes, and civil violations of state and federal laws and regulations. He also advises clients in matters of tortious interference, labor and employment law, white collar crime, and internal policy and regulatory compliance. Mr. Lisko's practice includes advising clients in investigations involving the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ), Internal Revenue Service (IRS), the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), National Labor Relations Board (NLRB), and the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), as well as other state or federal agencies.
In Mr. Lisko's business practice, he serves as an outside general counsel and strategic business advisor to entrepreneurs, celebrities, and midsize companies in various industries. He drafts and negotiates operating agreements, employment and marketing agreements, compliance manuals, and commercial contracts, as well as develops internal policies and procedures, strategic business plans, and operating manuals. Mr. Lisko also advises clients on human resources and compliance issues. In addition, Mr. Lisko helps clients with crisis management, strategic messaging, alternative solutions to litigation, negotiating settlement agreements, and strategically preparing for litigation.
Mr. Lisko has experience advising technology industry clients in matters related to cryptocurrency, blockchain technology and e-commerce, as well as website and application development for solutions using cutting edge technology to solve inefficiencies. Mr. Lisko also acts as outside general counsel for multiple clients in the automotive industry.
Mr. Lisko is also the president of the Sports Business and Leadership Association (SBLA), a 501(c)(3) nonprofit charitable organization made up of professionals working in the sports business industry. The SBLA provides underprivileged children with the resources necessary to participate in various confidence-building and life-changing sports experiences. He is also the host of the Ticket Podcast, a motivational and educational podcast that supports the SBLA and teaches people how to overcome adversity and become champions in their personal and professional lives.
Prior to joining Holland & Knight, Mr. Lisko was a law clerk to a Florida circuit court judge, worked as a legal associate for a Fortune 400 company, served as a law clerk to a professor, and worked directly under the general counsel of a National Hockey League (NHL) team.
While in law school, Mr. Lisko gained trial experience by acting as a licensed prosecutor in Delaware County, Ohio.
Prior to law school, Mr. Lisko was an Academic All-Big Ten Team selection and a three-time Big Ten Conference champion as a wide receiver on The Ohio State University football team, a member of The Ohio State University men's lacrosse team, and a five-time Scholar Athlete Award recipient. He also served as a teacher in Columbus City Schools for six months in between undergrad and law school.
- The Ohio State University College of Law, J.D., with honors
- The Ohio State University, B.A., Political Science, cum laude
- Sports Business and Leadership Association, President
- American Bar Association, Forum on Entertainment & Sports Industries
- The Florida Bar Sports Entertainment Section
- The Ohio State University Varsity "O" Club, 2008-present
- Rising Star, Florida Super Lawyers magazine, 2017-2023
- Top Lawyer, Tampa Magazine, Sports Law, 2020, 2022
- Law360 Rising Stars, Sports & Betting, 2021
- Holland & Knight Public and Charitable Service All-Star, 2017-2019
- Barrister's Best Sports and Entertainment Lawyer, Law Week Colorado, 2016
- Up and Comer, Tampa Bay Business Journal, 2014
- Supreme Court of Florida Pro Bono Award, 2012-Present
- 2010 Lawrence Negotiations Competition Champion
- American Bar Association Regional Negotiation Competition, Finalist, 2010