Alba Malagón is a corporate attorney in Holland & Knight's Bogotá office. Ms. Malagón has more than 15 years of experience in rendering legal services and legal guidance to national and international clients in the incorporation and development of their business activities in Colombia, including involved transactions relating to mergers and acquisitions (M&A) to complete the full cycle of their commercial expansion.
Ms. Malagón acts as counsel for the day-to-day operation of enterprises, in a variety of industries and sectors, which include drafting the best structures to do business, applying governance mechanisms for incorporated and unincorporated ventures, and support in the relationship between relevant or interested parties. She also advises clients in the implementation of efficiencies for legal management of contracts, aimed at process standardization and the representation in the negotiation of agreements for an adequate distribution of risks.
Ms. Malagón has also advised borrowers on syndicated loans, as well as startups in the structure of legal mechanisms for private capital investments and for the undertaking of adequate guarantees to secure the company's and shareholder's rights and assets.
In addition to her transactional work, Ms. Malagón provides general counsel on compliance with applicable bankruptcy regulation in Colombia (reorganization and judicial liquidation).
Prior to joining Holland & Knight, Ms. Malagón practiced at other Colombian law firms.
Ms. Malagón has been a professor of the legal English course at Universidad de los Andes, Pontificia Universidad Javeriana and Universidad del Norte.
- Represented Pizano S.A. in the definition of the legal strategy for the spinoff that resulted in the separation of its main business units, corresponding to its agricultural forest activity and commercial fabrication and supply activity, and the final sale of the agricultural assets, aimed at the restructuring of its debt as a means for the recuperation of distressed assets
- Represented the target company in its negotiation with Artecola of Brazil, with presence not only in Colombia but in 17 additional markets in Latin America and with nine industrial plants, for the consolidation of the private equity investment of the latter in Colombia, through the spinoff of nonrelevant assets of the transaction, the merger and acquisition of the majority shareholding interest in the target company
- Represented Clariant Group in Colombia for the implementation of the transactions defined by its parent company and required for the spinoff of its activities in the country to individualize business units for the sake of obtaining business efficiencies
- Represented one of the leading operators of the public transportation system of Bogotá in the restructuring of its syndicated loan in Colombia, with two of the main financial institutions in the country, which equal more than US$70 million in debt, allowing the client to reach an agreement that protected the personal equity of shareholders while providing the financial institutions adequate securities for the recuperation of their resources in terms that abided with the legal requirements established by TransMilenio S.A., as managing entity, of the Integrated Public Transportation System (SITP)
- Represented Sistema Integrado de Provisión de Flota SI2018 – Calle 80, as originator, and Sistema Integrado de Provisión de Flota SI2018, as parent and sole shareholder of the originator, in the issuance of green, social and sustainability-linked bonds for collection of US$41.4 million as capital required for the operation of Sistema Integrado de Provisión de Flota SI2018 – Calle 80 in the public transportation system of Bogotá
- Represented a Colombian-based startup, in the definition and implementation of the terms for the private equity investment by a Canadian-based corporation interested in the investment in companies developing and distributing plant-based products that may incorporate for wholesale of wellness goods
- Universidad Externado de Colombia, Postgraduate Degree, Energy and Mining Law with Emphasis on Mines and Oil
- Georgetown University Law Center, LL.M.
- Universidad de los Andes, Postgraduate Degree, International Business Law
- Pontificia Universidad Javeriana, J.D.
- Best Lawyers in Colombia, Corporate and Mergers and Acquisitions Law, 2021-2024