The Latin America Team at Holland & Knight is comprised of multicultural and multilingual attorneys offering a multitude of services to assist clients in successfully doing business in Latin America. The firm has a strong commitment and connection to Latin America. Our lawyers have been representing clients with interests in the region for more than 35 years. We have built an extensive support network across the region, including the firm's offices in Bogotá and Mexico City, as well as long-standing relationships with nearly all of the principal law firms throughout Central and South America as well as the Caribbean.
We work with clients on a broad range of international matters, including mergers and acquisitions, private equity investments, international finance transactions, international taxation matters, regulatory and government matters, and international arbitration and dispute resolution.
Examples of our work in Latin America include:
- serving as counsel for Bladex and lenders in US$90 million syndicated loan to Colombia's Centelsa, and acting as lead arranger and administrative agent in US$80 million syndicated loan to Banco Aliado
- assisting the registration of US$769 million debt program for Mexico's INFONACOT and landmark US$130 million debt issuance of certificados bursátiles on Mexican Stock Exchange; debut of US$230 million debt program and US$12.5 million issuance for Abengoa Mexico on the same stock exchange
- advising on follow-on US$2.5 billion public offering for Fibra UNO, Mexico's first publicly traded REIT
- assisting in US$400 million syndicated term loan facility on behalf of The Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ, J.P. Morgan Securities and Wells Fargo Securities for Banistmo S.A. in its first global syndicated loan
- serving as counsel to Itaú Unibanco S.A. for a seven-bank syndicate on a US$200 million syndicated loan to Inversiones Centenario S.A.A. – a real estate developer with shares listed on the Lima Stock Exchange – as its first syndicated credit facility
- representing Drummond Company in all aspects of its Colombian mining operations and infrastructure projects — from the joint venture negotiations to operate and manage rail operations for the Atlantic Railway Network in Colombia to the development of a port facility, as well as assisting in numerous environmental, regulatory and commercial matters incident to the company's mining and operating activities, and matters and resolution of commercial disputes
- representing a private equity firm in connection with its investment in Virgin Mobile Latin America, a mobile virtual network operator, involving the negotiation and structuring of the private equity investment and addressing issues raised by the multijurisdictional aspect of the target's operations
- assisting a discount retailer in the continued expansion of its international operations in Central and South America, including the negotiation and execution of distribution arrangements throughout multiple jurisdictions
- advising the Fondo Latinoamericano de Reservas (FLAR) in extending a loan to the government of Ecuador for more than half a billion dollars
- advising InterContinental Hotels Group in multiple hotel projects in Argentina, Chile, Colombia and throughout Central America
- representing EZCORP in connection with the company's US$58.7 million acquisition of a 60 percent ownership interest in Prestaciones Finmart, S.A. de C.V., SOFOM, E.N.R. (Crediamigo), a specialty consumer finance company headquartered in Mexico City that provides payroll deduction loans to its customers
- representing certain shareholders of Cables de Energía and Telecomunicaciones Centelsa in the sale of the companies to the Mexican industrial consortium Xignux
- assisting one of the largest financial institutions in the world in connection with the financing of an international private equity fund in the amount of US$200 million
- advising a healthcare institution with regard to an affiliation agreement with the Government of Aruba
- advising a financial institution in Puerto Rico on a US$540 million loan portfolio sale
- serving as lead advisors to a real estate company in residential and resort development in the Bahamas
- advising two financial institutions on the creation of United States and offshore private equity funds for Latin American investors; the engagement involves extensive cross-border United States, offshore and Colombian legal issues
Leading Lawyers on Your Side
Members of Holland & Knight's Latin America Team have been selected for inclusion in leading industry publications based on their work in the region. A number of our attorneys are ranked in the 2019 edition of Chambers Latin America, and the 2018 editions of Chambers Global, Latin Lawyer 250 and IFLR1000, as well as the 2017 edition of The Legal 500 Latin America.