Ellen S. Marcus is a New York civil trial attorney and member of Holland & Knight's Construction Industry Practice Group.
Ms. Marcus is a highly experienced attorney who represents owners, developers, construction managers, contractors and subcontractors in construction transactions, complex commercial litigation and New York labor law litigation.
Ms. Marcus is counsel of choice for a large national real estate development company and has comprehensive experience defending high-exposure labor law, construction defect and premises liability claims. Ms. Marcus also has experience in litigating property rights claims, including adverse possession and easements. Ms. Marcus has tried cases in New York state courts and has extensive arbitration and mediation experience. Representative engagements include:
- litigation related to the construction of numerous luxury mixed-use developments in the New York City metropolitan area
- representing a transportation authority in connection with property rights and property damage claims
- serving as counsel for a national real estate development company and appearing in courts in all New York City counties, in addition to Nassau, Westchester, Rockland and Dutchess counties
Ms. Marcus has been practicing for more than 25 years with a focus on litigation, including representing a major financial institution in its mortgage banking litigation group. Prior to joining Holland & Knight, Ms. Marcus was an administrative law judge for the New York City Department of Finance.
- Hofstra University School of Law, J.D.
- The University of Vermont, B.A., Political Science
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- Lynbrook Union Free School District, Board of Education, Trustee, 2008-present
- Anti-Defamation League, Long Island Advisory Committee, 2015-present; Long Island Education Taskforce, 2015-present
- Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, Long Island Chapter, Board of Directors, 2006-2011
- Above & Beyond Pro Bono Achievement Award, Sanctuary for Families, 2020
- Holland & Knight Pro Bono All-Star, 2020