We Understand Your Business
The construction industry is inextricably tied to the highs and lows of global macroeconomic conditions. As the industry survives and thrives through the inevitable cycles, it is subject to various trends and issues, such as the following recent developments:
- The regulatory environment in many construction sectors is complex and involves multiple tiers of government. Compliance with these regulations adds to operational costs but, in the long term, may reduce a company’s exposure to litigation and can lower insurance premiums.
- With recently passed legislation leading to an upturn in government spending on new construction for roads, bridges, public transit and other major infrastructure – as well as the repair and replacement of existing bridges and other transportation safety projects – look for an increase in the industry's nonresidential segment.
- Government and private industry focus on alternative energy has created a rapid expansion to construction of solar, wind, hydro and biomass energy production facilities. The war in Ukraine and other global influences have created new investments in fossil fuel extraction and refining. Look for energy to be another growth area for the construction industry.
- Rapidly evolving "connected construction" technologies that can help streamline assets, processes, workers and job sites onto one platform are transforming the industry, providing crucial data and advanced analytics that can reduce downtime, optimize efficiency and help integrate and automate operations for those companies who are at the forefront.
- Labor shortages and supply chain disruptions for key building materials have created longer lead times, rapidly increasing costs and project delays. Firms that can discover innovative ways to navigate these challenges will be best positioned for success.
- Latin America presents opportunities for public-private partnerships and new infrastructure projects. Understanding the distinct political and legal systems in Latin America is crucial for doing business in this region and protecting assets and capital investments that impact the construction industry there.
Is your company positioned to succeed?
We Can Help
With a dedicated team of more than 60 lawyers and professionals, Holland & Knight's Construction Industry Practice Group is equipped to serve all of the needs of builders and construction managers, government contractors, project owners and investors and other industry participants. We utilize a team approach that includes lawyers throughout the United States and the Middle East who work in collaboration to address all of the legal needs of clients engaged in the development and construction of projects around the globe. Our services include:
- Construction Project Support: Growth in certain regions and industry sectors continues to fuel construction, and we can provide you with comprehensive advice on legal issues surrounding the development, financing and administration of projects around the world.
- Transactional Services: Our team has extensive experience providing business advice to participants in the construction industry on a wide range of issues, including structuring and negotiating contracts at all levels, joint venture and teaming agreements, mergers and acquisitions, corporate compliance and governance, and U.S. and foreign taxation.
- Environment: Environmental concerns are present in virtually every construction project around the world. Our team can help you address the environmental issues that accompany the development and operation of your projects worldwide, including environmental permitting and compliance.
- Financial Services: Financial capital is a common need among participants in the construction industry and our team can help you secure the funding necessary to support your operations. We have extensive experience with the documentation, due diligence and closing of all forms of financing, including commercial lending, project finance, public finance, structured finance, private equity and venture capital.
- Government Contracts: Federal, state and local governments account for a significant percentage of business within the construction industry. We can assist you in navigating the government contract and procurement process and complying with the applicable laws and regulations so you can achieve your business objectives. A significant portion of our practice includes bid protests and procurement-related dispute resolution.
- Hospitality, Resort and Timeshare: Our team has extensive experience handling construction law issues for a wide range of tourism and resort projects, and we can represent your interests around the world.
- Insurance: The construction industry is subject to a wide range of liability risks and insuring obligations. We can help you anticipate those risks and protect your interests through effective insurance planning, coordination with your risk manager and appropriate documentation of insurance and indemnification contracts.
- International: As construction projects continue to develop throughout the world, so too does the need for coordinated global legal counsel. Our team can assist you with all of your transactional, real estate, tax and dispute resolutions needs across the globe.
- Labor, Employment and Benefits: With the prevalence of large workforces and unionized employees, labor and employment issues are of great importance to the construction industry. Our team can guide you through common employment issues such as policies, training and benefits as well as issues that are critical in your industry, such as OSHA and workplace safety. We can also represent your interests in labor relations and can defend against claims of discrimination and retaliation.
- Land Use and Zoning: Land use issues are a key concern for developers and contractors engaged in construction projects. Our team can help you with all of your land use needs, including obtaining land use and real estate development approvals, drafting zoning relief ordinances, and negotiating agreements for improvements needed for development projects and public/private partnerships.
- Litigation and Dispute Resolution: Disputes are a common occurrence in today's business world and the construction industry is no exception. We will aggressively defend your interests in any type of dispute, so you can remain focused on your core business objectives.
- Public Policy & Regulation: The construction industry is subject to a vast array of regulations at state and federal levels in the United States and by various levels of government in foreign countries. Members of our team have extensive experience in state and federal policymaking and regulatory matters and can help you safely navigate the rules.
- Real Estate: Companies engaged in the construction industry often require significant real property holdings to conduct their business. We can help you with the acquisition, development, leasing and sale of the real estate necessary for your operations.
- White Collar Defense and Investigations: Government investigations are becoming increasingly common within the construction industry and our team can represent your interests in any type of investigation, including allegations of state and federal False Claims Act violations.
Guidance You Can Trust
The combination of our thorough industry knowledge, our extensive experience and our sincere commitment to provide responsive service is why clients entrust our Construction Industry Practice Group to handle their legal needs. These attributes are also the reason why members of our team have been named among the top legal professionals in the country and around the world by leading publications, including:
- U.S. News - Best Lawyers "Best Law Firms" guide placed Holland & Knight's Construction practice in its first tier nationally.
- Chambers USA – America's Leading Lawyers for Business listed Holland & Knight as having one of the leading Construction practices in the United States. The publication also named nine Holland & Knight construction partners among the leaders in the industry.
- The Legal 500 United States placed Holland & Knight's national Construction practice in its top tier.
- Euromoney Legal Media Group Guide to the World’s Leading Construction Lawyers listed several Holland & Knight construction partners.
- The Best Lawyers in America named several Holland & Knight partners among leading lawyers for Construction Law.