Nykolas McKissic is a private wealth services attorney in Holland & Knight's Dallas Office. Mr. McKissic focuses his practice on providing strategic counsel to clients in the areas of charitable giving, philanthropy and domestic and international tax-exempt organizations.
Mr. McKissic leverages his background in mergers and acquisitions (M&A) and complex tax situations to advise clients on qualifications for tax-exempt status, corporate governance practices and policies, and financial and legal compliance.
Prior to joining Holland & Knight, Mr. McKissic was an associate in the nonprofit practice for a national AmLaw 100 firm in Dallas. In addition, Mr. McKissic previously practiced in M&A with a Big Four accounting firm in Chicago, where he advised clients on federal income tax issues relating to corporate taxation, including domestic and multinational strategic mergers, acquisitions, dispositions and separations, with an emphasis on corporate taxation.
- Represented several nonprofit organizations in significant corporate governance issues by drafting and amending charter and bylaw provisions, resolutions, conflicts of interest and other agreements
- Represented nonprofit organization in securing regulatory approval from state attorney general to engage in the transfer of substantially all of its charitable assets
- Represented large charities in the development of policies and procedures regarding fundraising, charitable solicitations, commercial co-ventures and cause marketing
- Represented newly formed organizations by establishing organizational structure and obtaining exemptions from recognition of tax-exempt status for federal and state tax purposes
- Northwestern University Pritzker School of Law, LL.M., Taxation
- University of Toledo College of Law, J.D., MBA
- Trinity University, B.A., History
- New Mexico
- Ronald McDonald House of Dallas, Board of Directors
- American Bar Association
- Dallas Association of Young Lawyers (DAYL)
- Dallas Bar Association
- State Bar of Texas
- VolunteerNow Young Leaders Council, 2021
- Communities Foundation of Texas, Emerging Leaders in Philanthropy, 2022
- State Bar of Texas, Tax Section Leadership Academy, 2022-2023
- One to Watch, The Best Lawyers in America guide, Dallas Nonprofit / Charities Law, 2024