Ned Nakles is a Denver and New York real estate attorney who focuses his practice on representing a variety of lenders, funds and sponsors on finance and development transactions across the United States and internationally.
Mr. Nakles represents commercial banks, insurance companies, real estate investment trusts (REITs) and debt funds on senior and mezzanine loans for the construction, redevelopment and refinancing of projects across all major asset classes. He also assists hedge funds, private equity funds and pension funds in joint ventures and common equity investments in complex development projects. Additionally, Mr. Nakles advises borrowers and lenders on restructurings and workouts for troubled properties, including hotels, golf courses and homesites.
Mr. Nakles began his career as an attorney in the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development's (HUD) New York City office, where he worked on healthcare and affordable housing transactions, and served as the office's public housing team leader. He leverages this government experience in his work for borrowers and lenders on complex single and multi-asset agency loans involving Fannie Mae, the Federal Housing Administration (FHA) and the World Bank, and on transactions involving municipal bonds and tax credits.
- Represented a lender in a $720 million financing for a nationwide luxury apartment portfolio
- Represented a REIT as lender in a $300 million combined mortgage and mezzanine financing for the construction of a hotel and water park
- Represented a REIT as borrower in an approximately $600 million construction loan for the development of a life sciences complex
- Represented a debt fund as lender in an $81 million mortgage financing for the development of an Arizona industrial property
- Represented a debt fund as lender in simultaneous mortgage and mezzanine financing for a Texas industrial portfolio, as well as negotiated a profits participation interest in the portfolio following repayment
- Represented a lender in financing of a $225 million multistate manufactured housing portfolio
- Represented a private credit lender as preferred equity investor on multiple financings for multifamily developments and self-storage facilities
- Represented the government of the Bahamas as borrower in $100 million World Bank-guaranteed credit facility for the development of hospitals and a small business center
- Served as Colorado counsel on multiple modifications to a major ski resort group's approximately $1 billion credit facility secured by multiple Colorado ski resorts
- Represented a REIT in the negotiation of a $1 billion pipeline and exclusivity agreement to govern the creation of multiple joint ventures for the development of seniors housing properties
- Represented a pension fund in a common equity investment in development of the New York Islanders arena
- Represented a fund as investor in a joint venture for the acquisition and development of a mountain west luxury shopping mall, as well as in the related purchase and financing of the property
- Represented a debt fund in the workout and restructuring of a $100 million hotel and golf course property in Florida
- Represented a fund as loan purchaser in the acquisition and administration of a distressed loan for a mid-construction New York City waterfront condominium development
- Represented a debt fund in the workout and restructuring of approximately $250 million of senior debt for three mid-construction Hollywood hotel and event center properties
- Represented a loan purchaser in the workout and restructuring of multiple student housing properties in Oklahoma and Florida
- Represented a fund in the acquisition and financing of a $350 million multistate retail portfolio with sites in California, Florida and Texas
- Represented regulated bank in the sale of its midtown Manhattan U.S. headquarters building to a major financial institution
- Represented the owner in the sale of a Chelsea art gallery
- Represented the seller in the sale of a portfolio of medical office properties
- New York University School of Law, LL.M., Taxation
- Boston University School of Law, J.D., cum laude
- Colby College, B.A.
- New York
- One to Watch, The Best Lawyers in America guide, Denver Real Estate Law, 2024