Trip Nix is a bankruptcy attorney in Holland & Knight's Austin office. Mr. Nix assists clients across a wide range of industries in bankruptcy proceedings and complex commercial litigation matters.
Mr. Nix's experience primarily includes cases under Chapter 11 of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code. Mr. Nix also has experience in Chapter 7 proceedings. He has experience representing a wide range of stakeholders in bankruptcy proceedings, including debtors, secured lenders, Chapter 7 and 11 trustees, creditors' committees and unsecured creditors. Mr. Nix has significant experience with complex adversary proceedings and contested matters, including contested plan confirmations, claim objections, relief from the automatic stay, fraudulent transfer and preference litigation, discharge and exemption litigation and substantive consolidation. Mr. Nix has also prosecuted and defended numerous appeals of orders and judgments issued by bankruptcy courts throughout Texas.
In addition to his bankruptcy practice, Mr. Nix maintains a significant case load of commercial litigation cases in state and federal court, representing plaintiffs and defendants.
Previously, Mr. Nix gained valuable experience in a bankruptcy law boutique and as a federal judicial extern for the Honorable Harlin D. Hale in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Texas.
- Represented a Chapter 11 trustee in a joint administration of two Chapter 11 proceedings involving the maintenance and liquidation of significant real estate in the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
- Represented a single-asset real estate debtor in a Chapter 11 proceeding in the Western District of Texas, resulting in a confirmed plan of reorganization
- Represented a manufacturing business in a Chapter 11 proceeding in the Western District of Texas, resulting in confirmed plan of reorganization
- Represented a Chapter 11 trustee of oil and gas company in the Western District of Texas, resulting in confirmed plan of reorganization
- Represented a brewery in jointly administered Chapter 11 proceedings in the Western District of Texas, resulting in confirmed plan of reorganization
- Represented a post-confirmation plan trustee in claim objection proceedings in the U.S. District Court for the District of Delaware
- Represented a participant lender in a senior secured credit facility of approximately $500 million in Chapter 11 proceeding in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- Represented a senior lender in a single-asset real estate case in the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas, successfully obtaining relief from the automatic stay
- Represented a group of investors, claiming to have been defrauded by the debtor pre-petition, contesting plan confirmation
- Represented a law firm in objection to its pre-petition claim for attorneys' fees
- Represented a judgment creditor in a Chapter 11 proceeding of individual debtor, successfully obtaining conversion of bankruptcy case to Chapter 7
- Represented Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors in Chapter 11 proceeding in the Western District of Texas
- Represented post-confirmation a Chapter 11 plan trustee in an adversary proceeding asserting claims for breach of contract related to a sale of assets totaling more than $50 million, reformation and turnover under 11 U.S.C. § 542
- Represented a Chapter 7 debtor in defending objections to discharge under 11 U.S.C. §§ 523 and 707
- Represented a family trust in an adversary proceeding initiated by a Chapter 7 trustee seeking the avoidance of millions of dollars in alleged fraudulent transfers in the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
- Successfully objected to discharge of a Chapter 7 debtor under 11 U.S.C. § 523(a)(2) and certain claimed exemptions under 11 U.S.C. § 522
- Represented an executor of a will accused of breach of fiduciary duty in a case removed to bankruptcy court; successfully obtained dismissal of claims by summary judgment
- Represented a factoring company accused of breach of contract and fraud; successfully obtained dismissal of all claims asserted against it by summary judgment
- Represented numerous lenders in enforcement of loan agreements and guaranty contracts
- Represented a lender in a multi-party interpleader action
- Represented a real estate developer in a land dispute
- Texas Tech University School of Law, J.D.
- Texas Tech University, B.A.
- Larry E. Kelly Bankruptcy American Inn of Court
- Turnaround Management Association, Central Texas Chapter
- Texas Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Austin Bar Association
- Austin Young Lawyers Association
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Ones to Watch, Litigation - Bankruptcy, 2023, 2024
- Rising Star, Texas Super Lawyers magazine, 2023