Matthew J. Petersen
Matthew "Matt" Petersen is a corporate attorney in Holland & Knight's Chicago office. Mr. Petersen focuses his practice on mergers and acquisitions (M&A), corporate finance, complex commercial contracts and strategic counseling.
Mr. Petersen represents clients in leveraged buyouts, rollups and consolidations, takeovers and takeover defense. He also has extensive experience working with private equity, venture capital and angel investors in recapitalizations, equity investments and senior and mezzanine debt financings.
In addition, Mr. Petersen advises companies, ownership and management in a diverse range of industries. His clients include family-owned businesses, portfolio companies of private equity funds and publicly traded companies. Clients rely on Mr. Petersen's judgment, his pragmatic and business-oriented approach, and his commitment to client service.
Prior to joining Holland & Knight, Mr. Petersen was an attorney at a global law firm in its Chicago office.
- Represented a national specialized distributor and solution provider in its acquisition of two Florida-based distributors of janitorial supplies, foodservice disposables and paper supplies
- Represented a manufacturer and services provider in its $240 million acquisition of two military aircraft arresting systems businesses
- Represented an international executive search firm in connection with its acquisition of a leading virtual consulting firm and its wholly owned United Kingdom subsidiary
- Represented a manufacturer and services provider in its agreement to acquire the stock of a developer and manufacturer of tactical communication and information technology infrastructure hardware and software for $400 million
- Represented an American technology company, defense contractor and information technology services provider in the $425 million sale of its managed satellite communications business to a company that specializes in communications satellite technology
- Represented a global chemical and ingredients distributor and provider of value-added services in several acquisitions of environmental and facilities maintenance service businesses
- Represented global food manufacturer in the $230 million sale of its food processing, distribution and supply business to a Brazilian strategic acquirer
- Represented the largest U.S. manufacturer of plastic thermoformed packaging in its sale to a paper and forest product manufacturing company
- Represented the shareholders of a portfolio company of a Chicago-based private equity firm in its sale to another private equity firm
- Represented a private equity buyer in connection with the acquisition of the largest U.S. operator of freestanding tire inflator and vacuum machines and in its subsequent add-on acquisitions and ultimate sale
- Represented an internet services company and its owners in its sale to a large public company and related estate planning and advisory services
- Represented a company that provides online financial services through artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning in capital markets compliance issues, financial regulatory matters, and in the negotiation and documentation of complex commercial contracts
- Represented a Luxembourg multinational steel manufacturing corporation in a complex restructuring of a mining partnership and the negotiation of a long-term supply agreement
- Represented a global leader in food testing, safety and quality services in several acquisitions, recapitalizations and other general corporate matters
- Represented a global marketing services business as outside general counsel, providing support on agency acquisitions, digital marketing partnerships and complex promotional agreements
- Represented the family office of a prominent Chicago businessman in several acquisitions, recapitalizations, joint ventures and other investment activities
- Represented executives in a complex, management-led buyout of a leading financial services consulting company
- Provided general counsel services to a major manufacturer and distributor of biscotti, bagel chips and other baked goods
- Represented a leading designer and manufacturer of underwater mateable electrical and fiber optic connectors in a sophisticated venture capital investment and in the provision of ongoing legal and strategic counseling
- Chicago-Kent College of Law, J.D., with high honors
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, B.A.
- Gen X Leader, Crain's Chicago Business, Accounting, Consulting and Law list, 2022
- The Legal 500USA, M&A/Corporate and Commercial, 2018-2021