Kenneth R. Richie is a construction attorney, resident in Holland & Knight's Miami and Orlando offices. He is a member of the charter class of Board Certified Construction Lawyers in Florida and is a Florida Supreme Court Certified Circuit Civil Mediator.
Mr. Richie's practice focuses on both domestic and international construction projects, commercial and marine/pier/port contracting, and state and federal government contracts. He represents owners, general contractors, subcontractors and manufacturers in contract drafting and litigation on a range of industrial, commercial energy and infrastructure projects, including commercial buildings, transportation facilities, industrial complexes, and large residential complexes.
Mr. Richie lectures frequently on various topics relating to the construction industry.
Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Richie served as a captain in the U.S. Army. He was a member of the U.S. Army Judge Advocate General’s Corp, and was posted at Fort Stewart, Ga., with the 24th Infantry Division (Mech). During this time, Mr. Richie was also a special assistant U.S. attorney for the Southern District of Georgia.
- Negotiated the contract suite for the construction of a $200 million commercial chemical plant
- Negotiated and drafted construction contracts for a major international retailer for its stores in multiple locations in the United States
- Drafted the contract suite for a multibillion-dollar public-private partnership for a multiyear interstate highway project
- Drafted and negotiated the contract suite for a high-rise, mixed-use hotel project
- Drafted and negotiated the contract suite for a major aquaculture project
- Represented the owner in drafting and negotiating the contract suite with the architect, construction manager and the government entity for a $250 million cruise terminal/berth project
- Represented multiple owners in drafting and negotiating with port authorities regarding port terminal construction/operation
- Represented the owner in drafting and negotiating multiple design/construction contracts for cruise port/private islands
- Represented the owner in drafting and negotiating contract suites for multiple pier/cruise port destination projects in the Caribbean
- Represented multiple cruise lines in negotiation and drafting cruise port agreements
- Represented the owner in negotiating and drafting contract suite for integrated Caribbean resort construction and port construction, integration and operation
- Pursuit of claims totaling $18 million, and defense of claims, arising from the design of an oil refinery campus
- Pursuit of claims totaling $50 million for the construction of a major airport terminal addition
- Pursuit of claims totaling $14 million for water intrusion on a multibuilding apartment complex
- Defense of claims totaling $4.5 million on a multibuilding condominium complex
- Pursuit and resolution of claims for pier construction on a cruise line private island in the Caribbean
- Defended claims for dredging and beach renourishment in arbitration at a resort in the Caribbean
- Defended claims and pursued a counterclaim in arbitration for water intrusion at a resort complex in the Caribbean
Mr. Richie routinely represents owners in a variety of matters related to seaport, airport and destination infrastructure projects in partnership with the responsible public entity.
- Lead project counsel to multiple private owners responsible for seaport, dredging and terminal matters in partnership with various government agencies
- Drafted contract suite for construction of a major urban interstate highway reconstruction project in partnership with the responsible government agency
- Represented the owner in drafting and negotiating the contract suite for a pier/cruise port destination project in the Caribbean in partnership with the responsible government agency
- Represented the owner in drafting and negotiating the contract suite for its world headquarters in partnership with the responsible government agency
- University of Memphis Cecil C. Humphreys School of Law, J.D.
- University of Memphis, B.A.
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Litigation - Construction, 2019-2022
- Florida Bar Board Certified Construction Lawyer
- Florida Super Lawyers magazine, 2007, 2012-2014
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated
- Florida Supreme Court Certified Circuit Court Mediator