Alban "Alby" Salaman is a partner in Holland & Knight's Washington, D.C., office. He is chair of the firm's Mid-Atlantic Region Private Wealth Services Group, which has been recognized as a Tier One practice group by U.S. News-Best Lawyers "Best Law Firms guide." He practices in the areas of estate planning, estate administration and employee benefits. Mr. Salaman concentrates on designing sophisticated estate plans and saving taxes for wealthy families in the metropolitan Washington, D.C., area and for professional athletes nationwide, including NBA and NFL players. Mr. Salaman is a past president of the Washington D.C. Estate Planning Council.
Mr. Salaman has 30 years' experience advising clients on a wide range of wealth planning and preservation concerns, including: tax planning, wills, trusts, advance medical directives, insurance planning, family business planning (including grantor retained annuity trusts and defective trusts), family partnerships, generation-skipping transfer tax planning, charitable giving, premarital agreements and retirement planning. No court has ever overturned any of the prenuptial agreements he has prepared for clients. He also administers large estates, supervises the preparation of federal estate tax returns and represents clients before the IRS with respect to federal estate tax audits.
Mr. Salaman's broad tax knowledge developed from his employment with the Office of Chief Counsel of the Internal Revenue Service, from 1977 to 1983. In that position, he drafted legal opinions on proposed revenue rulings, letter rulings and litigation positions when novel or complex issues were involved. Mr. Salaman often represented his division in conferences with Treasury officials. He also was awarded the Chief Counsel Special Achievement Award.
Mr. Salaman has been quoted in The Washington Post, Washingtonian Magazine, U.S. News & World Report, The Baltimore Sun, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Forbes.com and Yahoo! Finance. He has been interviewed on Fox Business. He has taught estate and retirement planning for the Greater Washington Society of CPAs, The American College of Financial Services, and others.
- New York University School of Law, LL.M., Taxation
- Temple University, Beasley School of Law, J.D.
- University of Pennsylvania, B.A., Political Science
- District of Columbia
- D.C. Estate Planning Council, Past President
- American Bar Association
- American Committee for the Weizmann Institute of Science, Washington, D.C., Chapter, Board of Directors
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Trusts and Estates, 2006-2022
- Top Lawyer, Washingtonian Magazine, 2002, 2004, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2014-2019
- Washington, D.C., Super Lawyers magazine, 2007-2022
- Top Washington Lawyer, Washington Business Journal, 2009
- Top 100 Attorney, Worth magazine, 2006, 2007
- Leading Lawyer, Legal Times, 2004
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated