Patrick Selwood is a litigation attorney in Holland & Knight's Washington, D.C., office. Mr. Selwood litigates state and federal cases, as well as leads civil investigations.
Prior to joining Holland & Knight, Mr. Selwood served as an Assistant U.S. Attorney in the criminal and civil divisions of the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Baltimore, Maryland, as well as a Special Assistant U.S. Attorney for the U.S. Attorney's Office in Washington, D.C. In these capacities, Mr. Selwood has gained experience in a broad array of civil cases.
Mr. Selwood has litigated numerous cases, including those involving the Administrative Procedure Act (APA), Federal Tort Claims Act (FTCA), various employment discrimination statutes, such as Title VII of the Civil Rights Act (Title VII) and the Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA), Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) and various immigration statutes. He also has led investigations under the False Claims Act (FCA), Anti-Kickback Statute (AKS), Stark Law and Controlled Substances Act (CSA). Additionally, Mr. Selwood has a significant background in litigating discrimination, retaliation, and wage and hour cases. He has counseled clients on various compliance matters, such as Title VII, Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), as well as state and federal paid leave requirements. Mr. Selwood also provides guidance on whistleblower complaints, including obligations under the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act, Sarbanes-Oxley Act, IRS Code and various state law requirements.
Mr. Selwood has briefed and argued before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit in civil and criminal cases.
In addition, Mr. Selwood served clerkships with the Honorable Peter B. Krauser of the Appellate Court of Maryland and the Honorable J. Mark Coulson of the U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland. He also was an associate for a full service midsize law firm in its Baltimore office before joining the U.S. Attorney's Office.
While in law school, Mr. Selwood was an extern for the Honorable John Fisher of the District of Columbia Court of Appeals and the U.S. Attorney's Office for the District of Maryland, as well as the U.S. Department of Justice's Office of Professional Responsibility, Office of the Solicitor General and Executive Office for United States Attorneys.
Not yet admitted to District of Columbia Bar; admitted to Maryland Bar only and practicing under supervision of lawyers licensed to practice in District of Columbia.
- University of Maryland School of Law, J.D., cum laude
- Bucknell University, B.A., Religious Studies and Philosophy, magna cum laude
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- St. Ann's Center for Children, Youth and Families, Vice President, Board Member, 2015-Present
- Clinton Street Community Center, Founding Board Member, 2021-Present
- Asper Fellowship Program, University of Maryland School of Law, 2013
- Law Journal of Race, Religion, Gender and Class, Articles Editor, University of Maryland School of Law, 2013-2015
- Academic All American, Bucknell University, Men's Soccer, 2009
- Alvin F. Jackson Jr. Award '59 Memorial Scholar-Athlete Award, Bucknell University, 2010
- Alpha Lambda Delta, 2007