Richard Sharman is an asset finance attorney in Holland & Knight's London office. Mr. Sharman focuses his practice on complex, highly structured asset finance and corporate transactions acting on behalf of financial institutions, leasing companies, operators, arrangers and investors, with a particular focus on aircraft and other transportation assets.
Mr. Sharman has significant experience advising clients on the establishment of equity/debt funds and co-investment platforms, joint ventures, conventional debt and Islamic financings, structured operating leases, bespoke securitizations, repacks and debt trades. Over the years, he has worked on multiple award-winning, first-of-kind deals. Additionally, Mr. Sharman is well versed in cross-border leasing and asset portfolio sale and purchase transactions, and he has significant recent experience advising creditors on repossession, workout and restructuring scenarios.
Prior to joining Holland & Knight, Mr. Sharman was an attorney at an international law firm in its London office. He has completed secondments with a global investment bank based in Switzerland and a leading U.S.-based aircraft leasing company.
In addition to his legal practice, Mr. Sharman regularly speaks at industry conferences and is often quoted in industry publications and podcasts, including Airfinance Journal. He also delivers seminars and workshops to clients and internal training sessions, and writes articles, most recently regarding environmental, social and corporate governance (ESG) in aviation, good faith under English law, electronic execution, the Global Aircraft Trading System (GATS), new United Kingdom restructuring laws and London Interbank Offered Rate (Libor) transition.
- Nottingham Law School, LPC
- University of Southampton, LL.B., Law
- England and Wales
- Aviation Working Group (AWG) Cape Town Convention UK Contact Group
- International Society of Transport Aircraft Trading (ISTAT)
- Law Society of England and Wales
- The Legal 500 United Kingdom, Transport Finance and Leasing, 2021
- Chambers UK guide, Asset Finance: Aviation Finance, 2021
- 40 Under 40, Airline Economics, 2020
- Equity Deal of the Year, Airline Economics Global 100, 2020
- Deal of the Year, China Business Law Journal, 2020
- Niche Deal of the Year, Bonds, Loans & Sukuk Middle East Awards, 2018
- Sale and Leaseback Deal of the Year, Airfinance Journal, 2016