Gloria M. Skigen is a corporate and private equity attorney who primarily advises investors in venture capital and private equity transactions, mergers and acquisitions, and provides business advice for institutional investors, as well as middle-market and startup companies. During her career, she has handled more than 125 venture capital transactions totaling more than $2 billion.
Ms. Skigen provides legal and corporate advice to clients in a wide range of industries, including life sciences, specialty pharmaceuticals, medical devices, information technology, clean technology, energy and consumer products.
Prior to joining Holland & Knight, Ms. Skigen spent nearly a decade as general counsel to a healthcare venture capital firm, where she oversaw all legal affairs, including portfolio investments, exits, fund administration and proposed investments.
- Representing investor in $80 million of financing rounds, from seed stage through IPO, for a stem cell therapeutics company
- Represented investors in $47 million of growth-stage investments and an IPO of a consumer healthcare products company
- Represented investors in convertible note financing of a telephony SaaS service provider
- Represented investors in financings of multiple consumer products, services and clean-tech companies
- Represented investor syndicate in financing of a company commercializing high-powered lasers for the oil, natural gas, geothermal and mining industries
- Represented investors in a company that produced high-throughput matrix chips for analysis of biological samples for DNA, RNA and protein analysis, including in the sale of assets to two public companies
- Represented investor syndicate in late-stage financings and IPOs, including a biopharmaceutical company commercializing non-absorbed drugs to treat renal, cardiovascular, liver and metabolic diseases; a company commercializing novel and best-in-class therapeutics in the otology market; and a women's health specialty pharmaceutical company
- Represented investor syndicate in financings and sale transactions, including the sale of a company commercializing oral therapeutics for cholestatic liver diseases and metabolic disorders to Shire, a company developing a drug-coated percutaneous transluminal angioplasty balloon to C.R. Bard, and a drug therapy company treating excess scarring to Pfizer, Inc.
- Represented investors in the sale of a leading global business information and multimedia company to a private equity group
- Represented a United Kingdom-based company in an asset acquisition of a U.S. interactive smart computer terminals company
- Represented a software and interactive development company in a merger with a digital and social media company
- Represented a private equity firm in acquisitions of post-secondary, for-profit education companies
- Represented a digital point-of-care media company in multiple asset acquisitions of other media companies
- Represented fund sponsors in the formation and structuring of U.S. and offshore private equity fund investing in middle-market companies
- Represented numerous key executives in their employment and compensation arrangements with institutional funds
- Served as counsel to a Fortune 500 company with respect to an acquisition of a limited partnership interest in numerous private equity funds
- Represented a digital point-of-care media company in issuance of senior subordinated notes with warrants and preferred stock to a private equity firm, as well as senior debt financing
- Served as counsel for a medical device manufacturer in the negotiation of manufacturing, distribution, sales representation, license and sublicense agreements, multiple financing rounds, equity incentive plans and licensing agreements
- Served as counsel for a cloud-based community health support company in acquisitions, strategic partnerships, license agreements and financing rounds
- Served as counsel for a medical adherence company in multiple financing rounds, employment matters and SaaS agreements with major pharmaceutical companies
- Served as counsel for a business process outsourcing service company in financings, employment matters and service agreements
- Cornell Law School, J.D., cum laude
- University of California, Irvine, B.A., cum laude
- New York