Josh Spencer is a partner in Holland & Knight's Chicago office. Mr. Spencer practices in the area of debt finance with a particular emphasis on negotiating and structuring senior-secured credit facilities, cash-flow-based financings, as well as second-lien and term debt facilities. He also has extensive experience representing lenders in asset-based and other structured credit facilities, and loans secured by owner-occupied and non-owner occupied commercial real estate.
Mr. Spencer has represented lenders, agents and borrowers in hundreds of club or syndicated credit facilities across a wide range of industries, including manufacturing, distribution, professional services, solar energy, oil and gas, for-profit education, healthcare and medical devices, foreign currency brokerage, media and entertainment, and residential mortgage loan servicing. Many of these transactions were part of a leveraged buyout, including the sale of the company to its employees as a part of an Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP), or other significant recapitalization of the company and its subsidiaries.
As a former banker, Mr. Spencer utilizes his years of experience in the financial services industry to provide his lender and borrower clients with creative, sound and practical advice to efficiently and effectively minimize risk without impeding business objectives. Mr. Spencer also provides significant legal advice to businesses and high-net-worth individuals across a broad scope of matters.
- DePaul University College of Law, J.D., cum laude
- Grinnell College, B.A., Mathematics
- Chicago Bar Association
- Loan Syndications & Trading Association
- Holiday Heroes Foundation, Board of Directors
- Chambers USA – America's Leading Business Lawyers guide, Banking & Finance, 2023
- Restructuring of the Year ($1B to $5B), 17th Annual Turnaround Awards, The M&A Advisor, 2023
- Holland & Knight Pro Bono All-Star, 2020, 2021