Monte S. Starr is an Orlando litigation attorney and member of the firm's Construction Industry Practice Group. He handles a variety of complex construction litigation matters covering a wide range of industrial, commercial and infrastructure projects across the United States.
Mr. Starr is well-versed in representing general contractors, owners and manufacturers in both private and government contract matters, including claims for construction defects, inefficiency/delay damages, construction-related product defects, water intrusion, lien/bond foreclosures and contract disputes. He has significant experience with engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) projects; public-private partnerships (P3s); road and bridge construction; power-generation facilities and desalination facilities. Mr. Starr also handles the drafting and negotiation of construction contracts and related documents for a variety of projects, as well as assists clients with contract management strategies in an effort to avoid disputes.
Mr. Starr is Board Certified in Construction Law by The Florida Bar. He also has received an AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rating in Martindale-Hubbell®.
In addition to his construction practice, Mr. Starr has significant experience handling complex product liability and toxic tort litigation. His product liability experience includes representing clients on issues related to fire cause and origin, HVAC equipment and filters, tire separations, fire suppression systems and exposure to PVC off-gases. Mr. Starr also dedicates a portion of his time to representing pro bono clients.
Prior to joining Holland & Knight, Mr. Starr was an assistant state attorney with the Miami-Dade State Attorney's Office where he was assigned to the Narcotics Trafficking Division.
Selected representations by Mr. Starr include:
Infrastructure and Public-Private Partnerships
- serving as lead project counsel to the EPC contractor responsible for the $2.3 billion P3 reconstruction of a major highway corridor
Energy and Industrial Projects
- successfully defended against claims totaling more than $20 million arising from the construction of a 1,000 megawatt (MW) gas-fired combined cycle power generation facility
- successfully defended against claims totaling $50 million arising from the construction of a 1,300 MW gas-fired combined cycle power generation facility
- successfully defended against claims totaling $500 million arising from a turbine purchase agreement
- successfully prosecuted a claim in excess of $40 million arising from the construction of a cement processing plant
- successfully defended against claims totaling $51 million arising from the construction of a 50 million-gallons-per-day seawater desalination facility
Condominium, Hotel and Mixed-Use Projects
- represented a general contractor against claims totaling $40 million related to Chinese drywall
- represented a general contractor against claims totaling $10 million and prosecution of claims in excess of $6 million related to construction of a luxury condominium
- represented a general contractor against claims totaling more than $5 million related to the construction of a hotel
- University of Florida Levin College of Law, J.D., with honors
- The Ohio State University, B.A., Criminal Justice
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- Orange County Bar Association. Construction Law Committee, Chair, 2010-2012
- The Florida Bar, Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section
- Leadership Orlando, Class 72
- The Associated General Contractors of Greater Florida
- Holocaust Memorial Resource and Education Center of Florida, Vice President; Board of Directors
- Chambers USA – America's Leading Business Lawyers guide, Construction, 2021, 2022
- The Legal 500 USA, Real Estate and Construction: Construction, 2014, 2019, 2022
- Florida Bar Board Certified in Construction Law
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated