Daniel Sylvester is an attorney in Holland & Knight's Chicago office and a member of the firm's Financial Services Team. Mr. Sylvester's practice focuses on the representation of borrowers and lenders in senior secured credit facilities, second-lien credit facilities, real estate finance and syndicated credit facilities. Mr. Sylvester has substantial experience representing lenders and third-party agents in a variety of bilateral and syndicated credit facilities related to mortgage servicing rights, REPOs (repurchase agreements) and residential mortgage servicing. Mr. Sylvester has represented lenders, agents and borrowers in over 200 club or syndicated facilities across a myriad of industries.
Mr. Sylvester is a member of Holland & Knight's Diversity Council and serves as a co-chair of the firm's DiverseAbility Affinity Group. Mr. Sylvester served as the chair/co-chair of the firm's Veterans Group for 10 years. In 2016, he was appointed by the president of the American Bar Association (ABA) to serve a three-year term on the ABA's Standing Committee on Legal Assistance for Military Personnel and also served on the association's Veterans Legal Service Initiative.
Prior to joining Holland & Knight, Mr. Sylvester spent 10 years in the executive search industry, where he focused his search efforts for companies at senior level management (directors to C-level) in the functional areas of operations, manufacturing, supply chain, finance and human resources.
Mr. Sylvester began his career by serving more than 10 years as an army officer. A highly decorated veteran, he was stationed in Germany, Italy and Croatia. Mr. Sylvester also served on the U.S. humanitarian operations into Bosnia and the Dayton Peace Accord's multinational NATO logistics command for the former Yugoslavia.
- DePaul University College of Law, J.D., Certificate in Business Law, magna cum laude
- Georgetown University, Edmund A. Walsh School of Foreign Service, B.S., History and Diplomacy: European/Russian Studies
- American Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Volunteers of America-Illinois, Board of Directors
- Veterans' Assistance Service Organization, Founder/President, 2010-2013
- American Bar Association Standing Committee on Legal Assistance for Military Personnel
- Notable Military Veteran Executives, Crain's Chicago Business, 2022
- Holland & Knight Pro Bono All-Star, 2020, 2021
- DePaul University College of Law Pro Bono Alumni Award, 2015
- Order of the Coif
- Governor's Service Award, Serve Illinois Commission, 2013
- Class of 2013 Senior Service Award, DePaul University College of Law
- Class of 1962 Scholarship, DePaul University College of Law, 2013
- Faculty/Staff Endowed Scholarship, DePaul University College of Law, 2012-2013
- Veteran of the Month, Illinois Department of Veterans Affairs, July 2012