Stacy Byrd Thomas is an attorney in Holland & Knight's Jacksonville office and a member of its Business Law Section. Ms. Thomas practices in the area of corporate, securities and tax laws, counseling clients on a wide range of domestic and international corporate transactions. Ms. Thomas' experience includes securities offerings, mergers, acquisitions, reorganizations, equity investments and recapitalizations. She also advises clients on transactions involving partnerships, limited liability companies and other pass-through entities.
Ms. Thomas counsels private equity, venture capital, real estate and hedge fund clients, with a focus on formation, operation and maintenance of private investment partnerships from a legal, regulatory and tax perspective.
Ms. Thomas also advises clients on corporate governance, regulatory and compliance matters. She assists public companies with preparing periodic reports filed with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and advises clients on disclosure and compliance matters arising from federal securities laws and SEC rules and regulations.
Prior to joining Holland & Knight, Ms. Thomas worked at the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Office of Chief Counsel and the University of Miami Children & Youth Law Clinic.
- Represented the owners of a healthcare staffing company in the sale of their equity interests in the company to a private investment fund
- Represented the owners of a regional pest control company in the sale of their equity interests in the company to a foreign private investment fund
- Represented issuer in private offerings of secured promissory notes under Rule 506(b)
- Represented issuer in public offerings of fixed rate and floating rate notes
- Represented lenders in loans secured by real property
- Advised private investment fund clients on potential investments
- Represented private equity fund in the formation and operation of a real estate joint venture focused on development of retail shopping centers
- Represented private equity fund in the acquisition of funeral homes and related businesses
- Represented private equity fund focused on real estate investments in all aspects of formation of the fund
- Counseled a foreign maintenance services company on the establishment of its U.S. operations and the negotiation of maintenance services contracts with several large U.S. retailers
- Counseled public companies on reports filed with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) regarding compliance with rules
- University of Miami School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude
- University of Miami School of Law, LL.M., Taxation
- Wofford College, B.S., Accounting
- The Florida Bar, Tax Law Section
- The Florida Bar, Business Law Section
- Jacksonville Bar Association, Corporate, Business and In-House Counsel, Co-Chair
- Jacksonville Women Lawyers Association
- American Bar Association, Section of Taxation
- American Bar Association, Business Law Section
- Outstanding Services Award, American Bar Association Military Pro Bono Project, 2017
- Order of the Coif
- N. Pettigrew Memorial Piranha for Children Award, 2012-2013