Stephen Warren is a litigator in Holland & Knight's Miami office with more than two decades of experience. His litigation practice has an emphasis on securities and consumer class actions, merger and acquisition disputes (including handling representation and warranty insurance claims), complex commercial litigation, shareholder derivative actions and U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) enforcement matters. His experience includes federal and state court litigation, appeals and domestic arbitrations.
Prior to joining Holland & Knight, Mr. Warren served as a law clerk for the Honorable Leonard Garth on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit and the Honorable James Coleman on the Supreme Court of New Jersey. Between these two appellate clerkships, Mr. Warren worked in the New York office of Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher, and Flom LLP.
Mr. Warren's experience includes:
Securities Litigation Matters
- defending pharmaceutical companies, high-tech equipment manufacturers, financial institutions, utilities, media companies, bioenergy developers, social networking companies and medical device manufacturers (and their directors and officers) in federal and state securities class action lawsuits
- obtaining a dismissal for a nationwide homebuilder in a shareholder derivative action
- representing a securities broker-dealer in a weeklong Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) arbitration hearing, as well as responding to FINRA inquiries
- obtaining summary judgment for several financial institutions in a multimillion-dollar lawsuit brought by investors
- representing an aerospace company in a hostile takeover attempt
SEC Enforcement Matters
- representing public companies, tech firms, utility companies, financial services firms, directors, officers and employees in SEC investigations and lawsuits
- helping third parties respond to SEC subpoenas
- successfully defending an investment adviser in an SEC insider trading investigation
- successfully defending an investor in an SEC insider trading investigation
Representation and Warranty (R&W) Insurance Claims
- representing insurers in evaluating and defending representation and warranty claims in various industries (transportation, highway tolls, medical, etc.)
Consumer Class Actions
- defending appliance manufacturers, casinos, media companies and health product companies in consumer class actions
Mr. Warren also has taken on a number of pro bono representations, including helping the Innocence Project successfully exonerate a wrongfully convicted Cuban immigrant after 25 years in prison. Other pro bono matters have included representing a prisoner at trial in a Section 1983 lawsuit, bringing a class action on behalf of juvenile prisoners and obtaining political asylum for a Romanian immigrant.
In law school, Mr. Warren graduated second in his class and was a member of the Seton Hall Law Review and the Interscholastic Moot Court Team.
Mr. Warren serves on the Advisory Board for Practical Law, a Thomson Reuters company. He also serves on the board of directors for the South Florida Chapter of the Federal Bar Association.
- Denison University, B.A.
- Seton Hall University School of Law, J.D., summa cum laude
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- All State Courts in New York
- All State Courts in Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- American Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Litigation - Securities, 2021, 2022
- Florida Super Lawyers magazine, 2014-2019
- Most Effective Lawyer Winner, Corporate Securities, Daily Business Review, 2012, 2013
- Rising Star, Florida Super Lawyers magazine, 2009-2012
- Florida Trend Legal Elite - Up & Comer, 2010
- South Florida Legal Guide, Top up and Comer, 2009