Andrew H. "Andy" Weinstein is a Miami attorney and member of the firm's Private Wealth Services Group and the Taxation Team. Mr. Weinstein's primary focus is on representation of high-net-worth individuals, both domestic and international. Mr. Weinstein has many years of in-depth experience within the IRS and in the private sector, having acted for clients with net worth in the billions of dollars. Those clients continue to entrust their personal planning, tax compliance and global "bet the company" affairs to his sage counsel. Clients describe Mr. Weinstein's work as creative, cutting edge, responsive and in advance of changes in law, technology and client needs.
While at the IRS, Mr. Weinstein was responsible for both federal criminal tax enforcement and civil tax disputes, including substantive examinations, collection proceedings, administrative appeals and tax litigation. In the private sector, Mr. Weinstein leverages his government experience in representing individuals, companies, trusts and estates to ensure that their international, federal, state and local tax-related planning and compliance withstands governmental review at every level. To that end, he continues to maintain and expand strong relationships with governmental representatives based on mutual trust and confidence. In addition, Mr. Weinstein maintains long-standing working relationships with foreign counsel, thereby ensuring that cross-border representation will be fully compliant and effective on a global basis.
Mr. Weinstein's work includes private and governmental review of client financial statements, tax returns, other government-mandated submissions, sensitive tax examinations, tax enforcement, tax collections, complex administrative appeals and tax litigation. He understands and has been singularly effective in planning to avoid, resist and resolve taxes and major tax penalties, whether civil or criminal. He routinely works with colleagues enabling him to undertake the most complex of situations and complete them efficiently and successfully.
With myriad penalties in the Internal Revenue Code, many of which must be paid before the taxpayer is allowed a full opportunity to be heard by an independent judiciary, Mr. Weinstein has achieved significant success in penalty avoidance, penalty reduction and penalty abatement. Many of these penalties involve international tax and financial reporting compliance with large dollar consequences of potential major effect. Accountants and clients often call upon Mr. Weinstein to avoid compliance problems from the outset, as well as during complex tax examinations and after penalties are asserted.
Mr. Weinstein's emphasis is always directed to early stage resolution of examinations and disputes at all levels on a cost-efficient basis, no matter how sensitive or complex the issues may be, whether wholly domestic, multistate or cross-border. Mr. Weinstein has a global perspective based on his years of active counseling and puts that experience to work to achieve client-centered objectives.
In addition to his ever-expanding client base, Mr. Weinstein serves low income taxpayers and counsels on veterans' affairs. He considers his pro bono service as an opportunity to share his experience with those for whom such services are not otherwise available. Mr. Weinstein spends his spare time teaching in law school and giving back to the community.
- 1980-present: Senior Partner, Holland & Knight, Miami
- 1973-1980: Partner, Glass Schultz Weinstein & Moss, P.A., Coral Gables, Fla. (merged with Holland & Knight)
- 1969-1973: Trial Attorney, Office of Chief Counsel, Internal Revenue Service, Los Angeles and Miami (Civil Trials and Criminal Enforcement)
Publications and Activities
- Accredited Attorney, U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (practice limited to pro bono claims)
- Adjunct Professor of Tax Practice & Procedure, University of New Mexico School of Law
- Adjunct Professor of Tax Practice & Procedure, University of Pittsburgh School of Law (2022)
- Author or co-author of numerous articles in publications, including The Journal of Taxation, The Florida Bar Journal, BNA Tax Notes, University of Miami Heckerling Institute and Leimberg Income Tax Newsletter
- Lecturer for numerous organizations, including the ABA, ALI-ABA, Florida Bar and Heckerling Institute; Lecturer for the IRS National Training Program on Tax Shelters and Professional Responsibility
- Current and former leadership activities include Holland & Knight Profit Sharing Committee, Chair; Holland & Knight Charitable Foundation, Chair; Board memberships and leadership roles in numerous civic organizations
- University of Pittsburgh School of Law, J.D.
- Duquesne University, B.S.B.A.
- New York University, LL.M., Taxation
- New York
- Board Certified Specialist, Tax Law, Florida Bar Board of Legal Specialization, 1983-Present
- American College of Trust and Estate Counsel, Service on Professional Responsibility, International Committees and Financial Action Task Force
- American College of Tax Counsel, Fellow
- American Arbitration Association, AAA Neutral, -through 2016
- American Bar Association, Tax Section
- American Bar Foundation, Life Fellow
- The Florida Bar, Tax Section
- New York State Bar Association, Tax Section
- Who's Who Legal Florida: Private Client, 2020
- Legal Week, Private Client Global Elite, 2017-2019, 2021
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Tax Law, 1989-2021; Trusts and Estates, Litigation and Controversy - Tax, 2013-2021
- Top Lawyer, South Florida Legal Guide, 2015-2021
- Chambers USA – America's Leading Business Lawyers guide, Tax, 2010-2021
- Florida Super Lawyers magazine, 2006-2021
- Holland & Knight Pro Bono All-Star, 2020
- Outstanding Services Award, American Bar Association Military Pro Bono Project, 2018
- Who's Who Legal 100: Private Client, 2014, 2015, 2017
- The International Who's Who of Private Client Lawyers, 2013
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Miami Litigation & Controversy - Tax Lawyer of the Year, 2013
- Top Rated Lawyers, International Law and Trade, The American Lawyer and Martindale-Hubbell
- Corporate Counsel Edition, Super Lawyers magazine
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated