Alan M. Weiss is a litigation attorney in Holland & Knight's Jacksonville office.. Mr. Weiss focuses his practice in the area of creditors' rights and bankruptcy matters, representing debtors and creditors in Chapter 11 and Chapter 7 cases. His experience includes the representation of the debtor in, what was at the time, one of the largest individual bankruptcies in Jacksonville, Florida, as well as representing debtors primarily engaged in operating hotels, restaurants and manufacturing facilities. He also has represented creditors' committees in some of the largest cases in Florida. His experience also includes handling many commercial litigation matters involving construction liens, foreclosure actions and receiverships
Mr. Weiss represents entities that have acquired assets out of bankruptcy cases, including real estate, intellectual property, contract rights, equipment, rolling stock and aircraft. He prosecutes and defends a wide array of claims brought under various provisions of the Bankruptcy Code. Mr. Weiss also represents trustees in recovering assets from debtors, creditors, and transferees. He works with real estate developments, resorts, manufacturing facilities, retail establishments, restaurants, shipyards, sports franchises, hotels, motels, trucking companies, professional associations, and governmental entities.
- In re Stein Mart Inc. Middle District of Florida. Represented private finance company as term loan lender of approximately $37 million to discount retailer Stein Mart in a Chapter 11 liquidating case. The loan was secured by most of Stein Mart's assets and Holland & Knight was engaged to protect lender's lien rights. Stein Mart is a national brand name discount retailer of designer clothing and home décor with 281 stores and 9,000 employees at the time of the bankruptcy filing.
- Represented a private luxury community involving the sponsor of a Chapter 11 restructure of seven golf communities located in and around South Carolina
- Represented the senior lien lender of an Orlando resort in confirming a plan that reorganized one of the state's largest gay night clubs
- Represented a federal court receiver in the receivership of a "wine and paint" establishment located in malls across the north east
- Represented the publisher of a journal dedicated to providing guidance during the opioid crisis
- Represented the second largest lien lender in the largest bankruptcy of a private lender in Florida
- The University of Georgia School of Law, J.D.
- The University of Georgia, BBA, Accounting
- American Bar Association
- Jacksonville Bar Association, Bankruptcy Law Section
- Commercial Law League of America
- Jacksonville Bankruptcy Bar Association, former Director
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights Law/Insolvency and Reorganization Law, 2010-2022
- Chambers USA – America's Leading Business Lawyers guide, Bankruptcy/Restructuring, 2019
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated