Economic Development and Corporate Relocation
- Holland & Knight's Economic Development and Corporate Relocation Team advises clients considering relocation or expansion in Tennessee and other tax-friendly states such as Alabama, Florida and Texas.
- Our multidisciplinary team of attorneys and advisors has secured key economic development incentives for a number of significant companies relocating to Tennessee.
To best serve clients considering a corporate relocation or expansion in tax-friendly states such as Tennessee, Texas, Florida and Alabama, Holland & Knight's Economic Development and Corporate Relocation Team provides an interdisciplinary team of attorneys skilled in the many nuances of economic development and incentives. For example, attorneys and advisors from our government relations, real estate, environmental and tax practices have represented many of the most significant companies relocating to or expanding within Tennessee. Our experience includes securing significant state and local appropriations to support client operations and objectives within Tennessee and other business-friendly states.
Companies that have relied on our counsel and assistance with corporate and business relocations and incentives span a broad range of industries. From an international automaker establishing its first U.S. manufacturing facility in Tennessee to professional sports teams and the three largest corporate headquarters located in the region, our relocation/expansion track record is significant. These clients continue to rely on our lawyers for a wide variety of legal services after their relocation or expansion projects are complete.
Incentives available to relocating or expanding businesses in Tennessee and other states can be conveniently divided into two categories: discretionary incentives that are negotiated on a case-by-case basis, and incentives that are set by statute and are available to all businesses that engage in the qualifying activity. Some of our deals for tax and incentive-based financing have become models for other similar transactions across the country.
Clients rely on members of our Economic Development and Corporate Relocation Team for assistance negotiating a wide range of incentives:
- business improvement districts (BIDS)
- state legislation
- payment in lieu of taxes (PILOT) agreements
- special assessment districts
- targeted privilege tax assessments
- tourist development zones (TDZs)
- FastTrack economic development incentives (Tennessee)
- Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA) energy assistance grants
Land Use and Real Estate
Every phase of a construction project, from conceptual design through final completion and beyond, has the potential to encounter critical legal issues. Holland & Knight lawyers offer our clients sound land use and zoning counsel, as well as comprehensive assistance on the myriad issues that site development entails, including:
- environmental concerns
- growth planning
- real estate acquisition and financing
- tax and government relations
Our experience includes numerous industrial and commercial projects, such as those related to regional shopping malls, significant single-tenant developments, quarries, landfills and utility structures.
Clients rely on our attorneys to assist them in the areas of design, construction, development, acquisition, financing, leasing and disposition of corporate headquarters, multi-tenant office buildings and apartment complexes, hotels and shopping centers, hospitals, medical office buildings and other healthcare facilities, as well as manufacturing facilities, telecommunications facilities and unimproved parcels.