Watch Holland & Knight and NAFOA Webinar on Section 17 Corporations
On November 15, Holland & Knight tax attorneys, Kathleen Nilles and Ken Parsons joined the Native American Finance Officers Association in the first part of a two-part webinar series to discuss why choosing a business structure is important to tribal economic development. In part one, the speakers highlighted Section 17 federal law corporations and why they may or may not be a good vehicle for your tribe.
Takeaways from the webinar include:
- Necessary steps to secure a federal charter from the Department of the Interior
- Sovereign immunity and waiver provisions that are typically contained in such charters
- Federal income tax treatment and benefits
- Governance options
- State tax treatment of Section 17 corporations
- Advantages and disadvantages of utilizing Section 17 corporations
Webinar Recording: Tribal Business Structures: Section 17 Corporations Webinar
Webinar Presentation: Tribal Business Structures: Section 17 Corporations PowerPoint
Webinar Resources: The Tribal Business Structure Handbook
The Holland & Knight Native American Law Group is a team of highly experienced attorneys and government specialists devoted to the unique needs of tribal governments and the complex field of Indian law, offering clients the resources of experienced Indian law practitioners combined with the diverse talents of more than 1,100 lawyers in every other discipline necessary to provide comprehensive legal services to tribal governments.