One Firm, One Year Later: Holland & Knight Marks First Anniversary of Merger with Thompson & Knight
MIAMI (August 1, 2022) – One year ago on August 1, the merger between Holland & Knight and Thompson & Knight was completed, combining two highly regarded firms with similar strategic objectives and collaborative cultures.
The merger expanded Holland & Knight's capabilities in a number of important industries and practices, as well as enriched a deep commitment to advancing diversity, equity and inclusion in the legal profession. Additionally, the combination expanded opportunities for lateral partner growth in a number of practices, including private equity, healthcare, litigation, real estate, private wealth services and several others.
In the 12 months since the merger, the impact has resounded throughout the firm in a multitude of areas:
- The firm has grown to approximately 1,700 lawyers and other professionals in 32 offices worldwide. According to Law360, the firm ranks No. 7 among the largest law firms by U.S. attorney headcount. In addition, the firm became one of the largest law firms in Texas, with more than 300 attorneys based in Austin, Dallas, Fort Worth and Houston.
- The firm also moved up in the AmLaw 100 rankings from No. 38 to No. 30 with combined revenue of $1.4 billion.
- The merger has significantly increased the firm's work in the oil and gas, intellectual property, financial services, real estate capital markets, and labor and employment practices, among others.
- The merger added a dozen highly qualified attorneys in Mexico that expanded and complemented the capabilities of Holland & Knight's Mexico and Latin America practices, particularly in the energy, tax and regulatory sectors, as well as added an office in the key Mexican market of Monterrey.
- The number of firm lawyers and practices recognized in respected legal industry publications rose significantly in 2022. For example, in the Chambers USA 2022 guide, practice rankings rose more than 30 percent from 2021, with ranked lawyers increasing more than 25 percent. In the 2022 edition of The Legal 500 United States, the firm was recognized in 24 practice categories, compared with 12 in 2021. In addition, 101 individual attorneys were listed, compared with 61 in 2021.
"As we celebrate the one-year mark of the merger, we fully recognize the incredible impact it has made in enhancing our profile and increasing the services we offer to clients throughout Texas and nationally, particularly in energy, technology, healthcare, real estate, financial services and other key industries," said Holland & Knight Managing Partner Steven Sonberg. "The skills, experience and dedication of our new colleagues, along with the spirit of collaboration and camaraderie we have forged, has made our firm exponentially stronger and positions Holland & Knight for continued excellence and growth in the years ahead."
"We were confident this strategic combination would accelerate our growth and enable us to expand our service offerings to clients in the U.S., Latin America and around the world, and that has proven true," said Practice and Operations Committee Vice Chair Mark Sloan, who previously served as Thompson & Knight's Managing Partner. "Now more than ever, we are certain that our complementary practice and industry strengths and shared collaborative culture have positioned our combined firm for continued success."