Rachel C. Agius is an attorney in Holland & Knight's Chicago office and a member of the firm's Litigation and Dispute Resolution Practice. She has successfully represented clients in commercial disputes in state and federal courts, at both the trial and appellate levels.
Ms. Agius' litigation experience spans a broad range of legal issues, including complex commercial disputes, consumer class actions, product liability litigation, white collar litigation in state and federal courts, breach of contract, fraud claims, international litigation, commercial arbitration and real estate litigation. Ms. Agius also represents companies and individuals in the prosecution and defense of restrictive covenant and trade secret claims, as well as clients in matters involving shareholder and fiduciary issues.
As part of her white collar defense and investigation practice, Ms. Agius represents corporations and private individuals in a broad range of civil and criminal investigations and prosecutions before state and federal agencies, including the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). She has experience conducting internal investigations for companies relating to allegations of misconduct and has counseled clients on strategic issues arising from parallel investigations and private litigations.
During law school, Ms. Agius externed for the Judicial Trial Chambers at the United Nations International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia in The Hague, Netherlands.
- Represented an office and financial management entity in class action seeking to allege a violation of the Illinois Biometric Information Privacy Act (BIPA)
- Represented shareholders in business valuation-related litigation
- Represented a property management firm against real estate fraud allegations
- Represented a client against breach of contract, fraud and trade secret violation claims asserting more than $12 million in damages in federal court in Illinois
- Advised a client on litigation involving insurance coverage disputes
- Successfully defended against Anti-SLAPP claims on behalf of corporate clients
- Prosecuted commercial evictions on behalf of a global investment management firm
- Defended a client against former employer for claims of breach of noncompetition and nondisclosure agreements and theft of trade secrets
- Defended against a consumer class action involving claims under California's consumer protection and recording laws
- Defended against a class action involving claims brought under the California Consumers Legal Remedies Act (CLRA)
- Defended multiple domestic and foreign airlines against personal injury and wrongful death claims
- Defended a car rental company against class action alleging violation of consumer protection laws
- Assisted in representing a broker in a matter involving U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) and Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) investigations for alleged white collar criminal offenses, including accusations of securities and wire fraud
- Assisted in representing a banking institution with a private securities class action relating to residential mortgage-backed securities (RMBS)
- Navigated a client through an investigation brought by the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) and District Attorney's Office for alleged regulatory violations resulting in a conclusion of the investigation without charges
- UCLA School of Law, J.D.
- University of California, Berkeley, B.A.
- All State Courts in California
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- Chicago Bar Association
- Excellence in Pro Bono Service, Federal Bar Association, Chicago Chapter, 2018
- Pro Bono All-Star, Holland & Knight, 2016-2017, 2020
- Chicago Bar Association, Leadership Institute Graduate, 2018