Shannon Armstrong is a commercial litigator with experience defending high-stakes class actions and handling complex business disputes for companies across a variety of industries. Ms. Armstrong has tried cases in state and federal courts, and has been lead counsel in matters involving claims for breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, protection of trade secrets, unfair trade practices and class action defense. Ms. Armstrong has a proven track record of developing and executing litigation strategy driven by business objectives, and seamlessly leading cross-functional teams in commercial litigation matters.
Ms. Armstrong's recent engagements include:
- Representing a company in $30 million breach of contract and fraud claims arising from failed acquisition in Delaware federal court
- Obtaining a complete dismissal on behalf of a real estate investment firm of $100 million claim by investors for fraud, breach of fiduciary duty and negligent misrepresentation on a motion for directed verdict at the close of the plaintiffs' case-in-chief in arbitration
- Representing a plaintiff LLC in litigation against its former managing member for breach of contract, conversion and breach of fiduciary duty, resulting in an award of punitive damages following a two-week jury trial in Oregon state court
- Obtaining injunctive relief in Oregon state and federal courts on behalf of an energy efficiency services company to prevent former employees from breaching their employment agreements in Oregon, California and Utah
- Representing a minority shareholder in prosecuting shareholder oppression and breach of fiduciary duty claims seeking $25 million in damages against oilfield services company in Oregon state court, Oregon federal court, Nevada state court and international arbitration
- Representing an international technology company in Oregon federal court against petition for discovery to be used in German litigation, pursuant to 28 U.S.C. § 1782, resulting in dismissal of petition
- Representing an energy efficiency services firm against claims by former vendor for breach of contract, unjust enrichment and trade secret misappropriation in Northern District of Illinois
- Representing a sportswear manufacturer in multimillion dollar sponsorship dispute with university in Wisconsin state court
- Defeating class certification on behalf of company for class action for deceptive practices and unjust enrichment related to insurance subrogation claims in Western District of Washington
- Obtaining dismissal of class action claims for breach of contract, civil conspiracy, unjust enrichment, breach of fiduciary duty and consumer fraud in Arizona federal court arising from benefits provided under auto insurer's medical payments coverage
- Defending an auto insurer against class action claims for breach of contract related to payment of "diminished value" damages in Washington state court and Western District of Washington
After law school, Ms. Armstrong began her legal career as a law clerk for the late Honorable Melvin Brunetti in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit and as a law clerk for the Honorable Ancer L. Haggerty of the U.S. District Court for the District of Oregon.