Jason Hartley Barker
Jason H. Barker is a Portland business attorney whose multidisciplinary practice involves complex corporate transactions and alcohol beverage regulatory matters. Mr. Barker has a deep industry knowledge involving owners, operators and investors within the alcohol beverage, homebuilding and timber industries. He represents clients located throughout the United States and who also operate internationally.
Mr. Barker's client engagements involve:
- complex merger, acquisition and joint venture representation, primarily on behalf of strategic buyers (including for national homebuilding brands and an international e-commerce collective)
- alcohol beverage regulatory advice for craft breweries and distilleries, as well as national brand owners and wholesalers of wine and distilled spirits (including advice regarding advertising, beverage operations, equipment procurement and financing, franchise protection, licensing, pricing, trade practices and tied house matters)
- serving as outside general counsel to startup and emerging growth companies, including ongoing advice regarding corporate financing, governance, incubation, loss prevention and operational strategy
- U.S. representation of foreign breweries and wineries (advice regarding importation, distribution and licensing matters)
- advice to family office, private equity and hedge fund investors regarding threshold legalities and risks of cannabis investments and operations within cannabidiol (CBD) and recreational markets
In addition, Mr. Barker is a visiting professor at the University of Miami School of Law and teaches courses regarding the regulation of alcoholic beverages and cannabis to upper-level law students.
- University of Miami School of Law, J.D., cum laude
- University of Virginia, B.A.
- National Conference of State Liquor Administrators (NCSLA)
- The Brewers Association
- Oregon State Bar, Securities Regulation Section, Executive Committee, Past Chair
- Holland & Knight Public and Charitable Service All-Star Award, 2017