Chad Barton is a corporate attorney in Holland & Knight's Dallas office. Mr. Barton represents private equity sponsors, their portfolio companies and a variety of other public and private companies in complex strategic, financial and other business transactions, including mergers and acquisitions (M&A), including bolt-on and roll-up transactions; divestitures; carve-outs; joint ventures; restructurings; private equity-backed investments and venture capital investments, as well as general corporate counseling.
Mr. Barton has substantial experience with planning, structuring and negotiating transactions for a diverse range of public company and private equity clients in the healthcare, energy, technology and telecommunications sectors. He also drafts purchase agreements, services and supply agreements, contribution and distribution agreements and other commercial contracts, joint venture agreements, confidentiality and exclusivity agreements, licensing agreements, earn-out agreements, term sheets and governance documents, such as limited liability company agreements, partnership agreements, corporate charters and bylaws, and various consents, authorizations and resolutions.
In addition, Mr. Barton assists strategic and private equity acquirers to realize their M&A goals (buy-side and sell-side), and advises clients in various debt and equity transactions. He also assists and advises clients' senior management, investment committees and boards with transactional and risk analysis in connection with crucial commercial decision-making, including analyzing diligence and documentation requirements, supervising associate teams' implementation of approved strategies, analyzing team diligence findings and work product and synthesizing the same into concise visual summaries, and ultimately comprehensive suites of transactional documents.
Prior to joining Holland & Knight, Mr. Barton was an attorney for a national law firm in its Dallas office.
- Represented multiple home healthcare partners in a contemplated roll-up transaction in anticipation of a consolidated sale process
- Represented private equity-backed healthcare management platform in implementing a practice management-focused bolt-on strategy involving leading orthopedic practices throughout the Southeast U.S.
- Represented private equity-backed home healthcare company in bolt-on acquisition of regional home healthcare platforms in Texas and Oklahoma
- Represented group of medical doctors to acquire an urgent care center in Burbank, California
- Represented a private equity fund in a $400 million preferred equity investment in a large-scale energy company to finance the acquisition of produced water pipeline transportation and disposal assets
- Represented a large public energy company in an approximately $1.8 billion merger-of-equals with a strategic partner
- Represented an private equity fund in a strategic equity investment in a provider of crude oil transportation and storage services
- Represented an infrastructure-focused private equity fund in its purchase of a leading owner and operator of waste-to-energy facilities from a peer fund
- Represented an international private equity firm in its acquisition of oil and gas assets in Texas
- Represented a national energy producer in its divestiture and spinoff of numerous regional subsidiaries
- Represented a premium cable network in its merger with an entertainment production and distribution provider
- Represented a private equity firm in the restructuring of an oil and gas development portfolio company
- Represented an offshore drilling rig lessor in the acquisition of offshore drilling assets from distressed entities, including a Chapter 11 debtor
- Represented an underwriter representations in public offerings of common stock
- Assisted a number of arts-based, nonprofit organizations in the Dallas-Fort Worth area secure 501(c)(3) status
- The University of Texas School of Law, J.D., with honors
- New York University, B.F.A.
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (LCLD), Mentor, 2018-Present
- Theatre Three, Board of Directors, 2017-2019