Thomas H. Bentz Jr.
Thomas H. Bentz Jr. practices insurance law with a focus on D&O, cyber and other management liability insurance policies. Mr. Bentz leads Holland & Knight's D&O and Management Liability Insurance Team which provides insight and guidance on ways to improve policy language and helps insureds maximize their possible insurance recovery. He also co-chairs the firm's Insurance Industry Team.
Using an extensive library of insurance forms and endorsements, along with the experience of reviewing numerous insurance policies each year, Mr. Bentz analyzes policy forms and works with brokers to negotiate improvements to policy wordings. He also provides policy comparisons and prepares coverage summaries for management and boards of directors.
In the event of a claim, Mr. Bentz offers policyholders strategic and technical advice on coverage matters such as notice, “duty to defend,” retention of defense counsel, rescission and severability. He also advises clients on policy interpretation and how to respond to reservation of rights and denial letters from insurers.
Mr. Bentz also provides advice on risk mitigation and management, coordination of coverage (including cyber insurance) and crisis management. He has extensive experience with insurance issues related to mergers and acquisitions, and other high risk transactions including extended reporting periods (or "tail" coverage), reps and warranties insurance, and indemnification agreements. He also assists clients with their bylaw indemnification provisions.
Prior to joining Holland & Knight, Mr. Bentz worked as a Claims Advocate for Marsh USA Inc., the world’s largest insurance brokerage firm. As a Claims Advocate, Mr. Bentz successfully recovered tens of millions of dollars for his clients. He also received several client service awards for his efforts in assisting clients in coverage disputes with their insurers. Mr. Bentz also worked as a broker while at Marsh, negotiating and placing complex D&O insurance programs.
Mr. Bentz regularly publishes articles on D&O and cyber liability insurance and is a frequent commentator on insurance issues. Holland & Knight has been consistently ranked as one of the top law firms in the country for director liability issues by Directors & Boards magazine.
- University of Michigan, B.A., Political Science and Communications
- Loyola University Chicago School of Law, J.D.
- District of Columbia
- All Courts in the District of Columbia
- All State Courts in Maryland
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- All State Courts in Illinois
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Phi Alpha Delta Law Fraternity, Former International Board Member
- International Center for Conflict Prevention and Resolution, Director and Officer Liability Insurance Committee
- Directors' and Officers' (D&O) Liability Insurance Group
- Excellence in Insurance Law Services – Washington, D.C., Corporate LiveWire Global Awards, 2018
- Insurance & Reinsurance Law Firm of the Year – USA, Worldwide Advisor Awards Magazine, 2018
- Insurance & Reinsurance Law Firm of the Year – USA, Lawyers Worldwide Award Magazine Five Star Lawyers, 2017
- Insurance Law Expert of the Year - Washington D.C., Acquisition International magazine, 2017
- Best in D&O Liability Insurance, Corporate LiveWire Global Awards, 2016
- Insurance and Reinsurance Lawyer of the Year - USA, Finance Monthly Global Awards, 2014, 2016
- Best Insurance Law Firm – USA, Acquisition International, 2016
- Best for Insurance Law – Washington, D.C. Metropolitan Area, Corporate America Legal Elite, 2016
- Insurance and Reinsurance Law Firm of the Year – USA, Worldwide Financial Advisor Awards Magazine Superior Lawyers, 2016
- Advisen Executive Risk Awards Best Counsel of the Year – Policyholder Counsel, 2015
- Rising Star, Washington D.C. Super Lawyers magazine, 2013
- Leading Lawyer Global 250, Lawyer Monthly magazine in association with The Economist magazine, 2013
- Outstanding Young Lawyer in Insurance Coverage Law, The Registry™ of Business Excellence, American Registry, LLC, 2013