Peter Blumeyer is an attorney based in Holland & Knight's Jacksonville office and a member of the firm's Private Wealth Services Group. He regularly represents individuals, families, charitable organizations and corporate fiduciaries throughout the country on issues of both Florida and federal law. He focuses his practice on trust and estate litigation, estate planning and administration, and the law of tax-exempt/nonprofit organizations. In doing so, he combines a mix of training as a litigator and business lawyer to both help preserve wealth and protect his clients' interests.
As a member of the Private Wealth Services Group's Dispute Resolution Team, Mr. Blumeyer is well-versed in the litigation of complex trust, estate and guardianship disputes. He has significant experience in will and trust interpretation and administration actions, contested guardianships, and breach of fiduciary duty claims. Mr. Blumeyer is admitted to practice, and has appeared in, both state and federal courts.
Mr. Blumeyer also provides general, high and ultra-high-net-worth clients with wealth transfer and asset transfer tax planning advice. He is proficient in drafting wills; trusts, including grantor/non-grantor trusts, revocable/irrevocable trusts, asset protection trusts, life insurance trusts and special needs trusts; and advance directives, including powers of attorney, designations of healthcare surrogate and living wills. Relatedly, he provides representation for corporate and individual fiduciaries and beneficiaries in estate and trust administration proceedings. In this capacity, Mr. Blumeyer serves as an active member of the firm's bequest revenue team, where he represents some of the largest charitable organizations in the country in probate and trust administration matters involving high-value gifts.
Mr. Blumeyer also focuses on issues related to nonprofit and tax-exempt organizations. In this area, he advises clients on the formation, oversight and governance of charitable, religious and educational organizations. Specifically, he performs services related to the creation of trust-based and corporate-form nonprofits, the preparation of applications for recognition of federal tax exemption, and issues of regulatory and fiduciary compliance.
From 2017-2018, Mr. Blumeyer served as a judicial law clerk to the Honorable Marcia Morales Howard of the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida. Prior to joining Holland & Knight, he was an intern at Jacksonville's Office of General Counsel and at the Office of the State Attorney for the Fourth Judicial Circuit of Florida. In law school, Mr. Blumeyer served as student body president and as a member of the Moot Court Board. In clinical practice, he represented pro bono clients in and before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit.
- Vanderbilt University Law School, J.D.
- Vanderbilt University, B.A., Political Science, summa cum laude
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- Salvation Army of Northeast Florida, Advisory Board, 2016-Present
- Jacksonville Country Day School, Board of Trustees, 2019-Present
- Episcopal School of Jacksonville, Alumni Board, 2016-Present; Vice President, 2018-Present; Committee Chair, 2016-2018
- Chester Bedell American Inn of Court, Associate Member, 2017-2018
- Literacy Pros of Jacksonville, Board of Directors, 2016-2017
- HandsOn Jacksonville, Blueprint for Leadership, 2016
- Jacksonville Bar Association
- The Florida Bar; Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section
- Holland & Knight Pro Bono All-Star, 2020
- Holland & Knight Public and Charitable Service All-Star, 2019
- 30 Under 30, Volunteer Florida, 2017
- Jordan A. Quick Memorial Award, Vanderbilt University Law School, 2015
- Book Award, Wills & Trusts, 2014
- Book Award, International Intellectual Property, 2014
- Order of the Coif, Vanderbilt University Law School