Peter Blumeyer is an attorney based in Holland & Knight's Jacksonville office and a member of the firm's Private Wealth Services Group. He regularly represents individuals, families, charitable organizations and institutional fiduciaries throughout the country on issues of both Florida and federal law. He focuses his practice on estate planning and administration, trust and estate litigation, and the law of tax-exempt/nonprofit organizations. In doing so, he combines a mix of training and experience as a litigator and business lawyer to both preserve and pass on wealth as well as to protect his clients' financial interests.
Mr. Blumeyer provides clients, including high-net-worth individuals and families, with a broad spectrum of wealth disposition and asset transfer tax planning advice. He is proficient in drafting wills; trusts, including joint trusts, irrevocable trusts, asset protection trusts, life insurance trusts and special needs trusts; and advance directives, including powers of attorney, designations of healthcare surrogate and living wills. Relatedly, he provides representation for professional and individual fiduciaries and beneficiaries in the administration of trusts and estates, including in complex matters involving the interpretation and modification of irrevocable and charitable trusts. In this capacity, Mr. Blumeyer also serves as a member of a national team of attorneys, fiduciary accountants and paralegals who advocate on behalf of nonprofit organizations as beneficiaries of matured bequests in both contested and uncontested trust and estate matters.
As a member of the Private Wealth Services Group's Dispute Resolution Team, Mr. Blumeyer is well-versed in the litigation of complex trust and estate disputes. He has significant experience with will and trust interpretation actions, contested probates and breach of fiduciary duty claims. In addition, Mr. Blumeyer's litigation experience expands beyond traditional trust and estate-related disputes to encompass issues commonly involved in high-stakes business litigation. He is admitted to practice and has litigated in both state and federal courts.
Mr. Blumeyer also focuses on issues related to nonprofit and tax-exempt organizations. In this area, he advises clients extensively on the formation, oversight and governance of 501(c)(3) and (c)(4), and (c)(6) charitable organizations, social welfare organizations, and business associations. Specifically, he performs services related to the creation of trust-based and corporate-form nonprofits, including supporting organizations, the preparation of applications for recognition of federal tax exemption and issues of regulatory and fiduciary compliance. Mr. Blumeyer possesses a strong working knowledge of the nuanced technical obligations required of exempt organizations. In this role, he has provided counsel to some of the largest nonprofits in the country, including in litigation involving claims brought by other nonprofit organizations and governmental entities.
Previously, Mr. Blumeyer served as a judicial law clerk to the Honorable Marcia Morales Howard of the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida. Prior to joining Holland & Knight, he was an intern at Jacksonville's Office of General Counsel and at the Office of the State Attorney for the Fourth Judicial Circuit of Florida. In law school, Mr. Blumeyer served as student body president and as a member of the Moot Court Board. As a lifelong member of the Jacksonville community, he is currently involved in leadership roles in a number of local organizations that focus on improving the quality of life and education in the area.
- Vanderbilt University Law School, J.D.
- Vanderbilt University, B.A., Political Science, summa cum laude
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- Salvation Army of Northeast Florida, Advisory Board, 2016-Present
- Jacksonville Country Day School, Board of Trustees, 2019-Present
- Episcopal School of Jacksonville, Alumni Board, 2016-Present; Vice President, 2018-Present; Committee Chair, 2016-2018
- Chester Bedell American Inn of Court, Associate Member, 2017-2018
- Literacy Pros of Jacksonville, Board of Directors, 2016-2017
- HandsOn Jacksonville, Blueprint for Leadership, 2016
- Jacksonville Bar Association
- The Florida Bar; Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section
- Holland & Knight Pro Bono All-Star, 2020
- Holland & Knight Public and Charitable Service All-Star, 2019
- 30 Under 30, Volunteer Florida, 2017
- Jordan A. Quick Memorial Award, Vanderbilt University Law School, 2015
- Book Award, Wills & Trusts, 2014
- Book Award, International Intellectual Property, 2014
- Order of the Coif, Vanderbilt University Law School