Rebecca Cañamero is an attorney in Holland & Knight's Miami office. Ms. Cañamero practices in the areas of appellate litigation, trial support, white collar criminal defense, internal investigations and healthcare fraud. She serves clients in a broad range of industries, including financial services, healthcare, military contractors and securities, among others. Ms. Cañamero practices in both English and Spanish to assist clients in the U.S. and Latin America.
Prior to joining Holland & Knight, Ms. Cañamero served as a law clerk to the Honorable Cecilia M. Altonaga, United States District Judge in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida.
During law school, Ms. Cañamero was an executive board member of the Harvard Prison Legal Assistance Project where she represented inmates at disciplinary hearings in Massachusetts state prisons. She received the Dean's Scholar Award for Federal Courts and the Federal System.
- International Trade: conducted legal analysis to advise large corporations regarding arbitral claims against South American governmental entities arising under free trade agreements
- White Collar Defense: assisted with the defense of individuals in criminal mortgage fraud investigations through file review, client interviews and legal analysis
- Foreign Corrupt Practices Act: reviewed documents and emails written in Spanish relating to an internal investigation of a corporation regarding FCPA violations in South America
- White Collar Defense: assisted in representing a large corporation with subsidiaries in Latin America in connection with one of those subsidiaries' alleged criminal business practices
- Healthcare Fraud and Abuse: aided in defending a Medicare provider against claims of overpayment in a federal investigation and administrative appeal
- Healthcare Fraud and Abuse: conducted document review and assisted in trial preparation for defense in a federal Medicare fraud criminal trial
- Corporate Services: conducted Spanish document review for a Colombian military contractor
- Litigation and Dispute Resolution: aided in the representation of a South American individual in litigation arising from a dispute over an Argentine estate
- Litigation and Dispute Resolution: assisted with trial preparation for federal False Claims Act litigation, including drafting dispositive motions, preparing jury instructions and analyzing exhibits
- White Collar Defense: aided in deposition preparation for an individual in relation to SEC investigation
- White Collar Defense: conducted legal and factual analysis relating to representation of a celebrity in a sensitive criminal investigation
- Securities Litigation: drafted briefs and conducted legal analysis for purpose of representing a large corporation in litigation relating to collection and disbursement of proceeds in SEC Receivership