Jon Cooper is a real estate and government law attorney in Holland & Knight's Nashville office who assists developers, builders and business clients in managing all legal aspects of property-related transactions. Mr. Cooper's practice encompasses the full spectrum of real estate development, including land use and zoning, regulatory compliance, public-private partnerships and government relations. He pulls from his 20 years of experience with the Metropolitan Nashville Government when handling contract negotiation, legislation, municipal finance and regulatory matters.
In his 20 years with the Metropolitan Nashville Government, Mr. Cooper served in various legal and administrative capacities and gained experience in nearly all aspects of local government. He assisted chairs of the Metro Council Budget and Finance Committee with preparation of the Metro Government's annual operating budget, provided an analysis of all key legislation, debt transactions and public-private partnership agreements involving the city, and assisted with the redistricting of political boundaries. He has drafted hundreds of pieces of legislation, many of which are now part of the Metropolitan Zoning Code. He has also assisted with municipal debt issuances, including general obligation bonds, revenue bonds and commercial paper.
Mr. Cooper served as director of law for Metropolitan Nashville, and his accomplishments in that role include negotiating a long-term lease extension for an existing professional sports team utilizing a government-owned arena, as well as the stadium lease and development agreement for a new major league team.
Previously, Mr. Cooper was most recently a partner at a local law firm, where he focused on real estate and development.
- Representation of an international developer in obtaining a height special exception from the Board of Zoning Appeals and other land use entitlements to build multiple towers in a large, underdeveloped section of downtown Nashville
- Representation of a developer to secure zoning and other approvals for a mixed-use development on approximately 80 acres of farmland in northwest Nashville providing for 425 residential units and 45,000 square feet of commercial space
- Represented a multifamily developer to secure entitlements and approvals for an $80 million housing development next to Tennessee State University
- Representation of a New York developer to secure an overall heigh modification to allow for the construction of four towers in a fast-growing section of Nashville
- Representation of a timeshare company regarding the acquisition and conversion of a hotel in downtown Nashville
- Represented a warehouse developer to secure entitlements for a large distribution facility for a major logistics company
- Successfully represented a large multifamily developer before the Tennessee Board of Utility Regulation challenging the fairness and reasonableness of fees assessed by a utility district
- Assisted multiple developers with the rezoning of properties throughout Middle Tennessee for large residential and commercial development projects
- Representation of a professional football team for the negotiation, financing and governmental approvals of a new stadium
- Representation of a racetrack management company to negotiate a redevelopment agreement with the city for a NASCAR track
- Representation of an international tire company to secure tax incentives for new and expanded factories in rural areas
- Representation of a solar company to secure approvals for new large scale solar farms
- Nashville School of Law, J.D.
- Middle Tennessee State University, B.A.
- All State Courts in Tennessee
- Nashville Bar Association
- Tennessee Bar Association
- Bloomberg Harvard City Leadership Initiative, 2017-2018
- Tennessee County Attorneys Association, Former President and Member of Board of Directors
- Leadership Nashville, 2006-2007
- Nashville Business Journal, Best of the Bar, 2018-2019
- Nashville Post, "In Charge" List, 2014-2019