Isabel C. Diaz is a Miami real estate attorney who focuses her practice on complex commercial real estate transactions and commercial lending. Ms. Diaz has extensive experience in acquisitions, sales, leasing and financing of commercial properties.
Ms. Diaz handles loan closings for commercial and construction loans, including the drafting and negotiation of loan documents, as well as the review of all applicable due diligence items. She prepares and negotiates commercial real estate contracts in the representation of both purchasers and sellers. Ms. Diaz also drafts and negotiates lease agreements in the representation of landlords and tenants, including government entities, financial institutions and restaurant owners. Her practice also involves the representation of various real estate investment firms in joint venture projects as they continue to grow their real estate assets. In addition, she represents several international clients interested in investing in the United States, with a special focus on Spanish clients.
In addition, Ms. Diaz assists her education clients on leasing, construction, acquisition and sale transactions involving state-owned properties and privately owned properties used or to be used for a public purpose. She also has experience in negotiating campus development agreements with local municipalities, as well as in structuring and negotiating public-private partnerships as financing alternatives.
Ms. Diaz previously served as senior counsel at Holland & Knight from 2012-2014 before joining Florida International University (FIU) as associate general counsel from 2014-2017. In her role at FIU, she provided legal support on university contracting matters, with an emphasis on real estate and construction. Ms. Diaz handled the structuring and negotiation involved in business transactions, property sales and acquisitions, lease agreements and related matters on behalf of the university. She also managed and advised the university on all facility-related legal matters.
- University of Miami School of Law, J.D.
- Florida International University, B.A., English, summa cum laude
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- National Association of College and University Attorneys (NACUA)
- Cuban American Bar Association, Board of Directors 2009-2013; Secretary, 2011-2012
- Cuban American Bar Association Pro Bono Project, Inc., Chair, 2012-2013
- Florida International University Alumni Association
- Dade County Bar Association
- The Florida Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- On the Rise Honoree, Daily Business Review Professional Excellence Award, 2020
- FIU Educational Leadership Enhancement Program Cohort, 2015-2016
- The Women's Fund (Miami-Dade) Mujeres Giving Back, Honoree, 2014
- Chambers USA – America's Leading Business Lawyers guide, Associate to Watch, Excellent Client Service, 2012
- 40 Under 40 Outstanding Lawyers of Miami-Dade County, Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, 2012
- Hispanic Woman of Distinction Award, 2009
- Cuban American Bar Association, Outstanding Member, 2008
- Guardian Ad Litem Volunteer of the Year, Eleventh Judicial Court, Division 01, 2008
- Roger Sorino Award, University of Miami School of Law
- Phi Beta Kappa