James M. Doran Jr.
Jim Doran represents clients in complex litigation, guides them through the litigation process and assists them with the most favorable resolution. Known for his intellectual curiosity, Mr. Doran enjoys tackling complicated issues and presenting them in a relatable way.
For more than 40 years, national and international clients from a wide range of industries have relied on him for representation in complex commercial and contract disputes, products liability litigation and insurance coverage disputes. His experience spans the automotive, chemical, pharmaceutical, insurance, healthcare and real estate industries. Mr. Doran has successfully defended attorneys, physicians and dentists in professional liability and malpractice lawsuits. He also represents both insurers and insureds in insurance disputes involving issues related to:
- commercial and general liability coverage
- directors and officers liability coverage
- professional liability coverage
Pharmaceutical companies, medical device manufacturers and other corporate clients turn to Mr. Doran for counsel when they are faced with complex products liability claims. He served as National Settlement Counsel for Bayer in PPA mass tort litigation, and he has earned a reputation for success in high-profile products liability cases involving asbestos, breast implants, latex gloves, bone fixation devices and products such as DES, Fen-Phen, Baycol, Vioxx, Fosamax, Gadolinium, Trasylol, Ketek, Yaz/Yazmin and ReNu litigation.
- University of Tennessee College of Law, J.D.
- Tennessee Technological University, B.S.
- All U.S. District Courts in Tennessee
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- International Association of Defense Counsel (IADC), Member; Executive Committee Faculty, Member and Director; IADC Trial Academy, Chairman; Product Liability Committee
- DRI, Member; Board of Directors, Chair; Amicus Curiae Committee
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- Harry Phillips American Inns of Court, Emeritus Member
- American College of Trial Lawyers, Fellow
- Tennessee State Committee, Past Chair
- Tennessee Defense Lawyers Association, Member; Board of Directors, President
- American Bar Association
- Tennessee Bar Association
- Nashville Bar Association, Member; Past President; Former Member, Board of Directors
- Merit Selection Panel for United States Magistrate Judge, Chair
- Civil Justice Reform Act Advisory Panel for the Middle District of Tennessee
- Advisory Commission on the Rules of Practice and Procedure, Chair
- Chambers USA – America's Leading Lawyers for Business guide, Litigation: General Commercial, 2006-2020
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Bet-the-Company Litigation, 2011-2021; Commercial Litigation, 2007-2021; Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions - Defendants, 2011-2021; Product Liability Litigation - Defendants, 2011-2021
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Nashville Product Liability Litigation - Defendants Lawyer of the Year, 2019
- Mid-South Super Lawyers magazine, Class Action & Mass Torts, 2006-2022; Business Litigation, 2022; Products Liability, 2022