Alison Ross Ellis is a litigation attorney in Holland & Knight's Richmond office. Ms. Ellis represents businesses, financial institutions, energy and construction industry clients in state and federal courts throughout the country at the trial and appellate levels, as well as in arbitration proceedings.
Ms. Ellis has experience handling litigation involving contract disputes, business torts and easement disputes. She defends financial services clients against consumer claims, including claims brought under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), various state statutes and common law claims. Her practice also includes representing creditors in bankruptcy proceedings.
In addition, Ms. Ellis commits a portion of her practice to the representation of pro bono clients in court proceedings of all levels. She also serves on a variety of civic committees and professional boards, and volunteers at schools in the Richmond area.
Prior to joining Holland & Knight, Ms. Ellis was an attorney at a global law firm in its Richmond office.
While in law school, Ms. Ellis participated in the Virginia General Assembly Externship Program, as well as her law school's Legal Aid Clinic and Public Service Fund.
- Served as creditor representation in workouts and adversary proceedings
- Served as special litigation counsel to a New York debtor defending environmental claims brought by the Commonwealth of Virginia
- Obtained multimillion-dollar judgments on behalf of a lender in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia, and subsequent appeal in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, against an insurer based on the insurer's wrongful failure to pay claims
- Negotiated complex settlements for policyholders following litigation and discovery
- Represented a Texas business in a contract dispute filed in Virginia and obtained an early dismissal, transferring matter to proper venue
- Represented a mortgage company in lawsuits involving third-party fraudsters, insurer's failure to pay claims, and in defense of consumer claims
- Managed the defensive litigation strategy in putative class actions and arbitration proceedings for financial services clients in various jurisdictions
- Counseled the Virginia Chamber of Commerce and a number of other trade groups in relation to a high-profile matter pending before the Virginia Supreme Court regarding the Virginia Public-Private Transportation Act (PPTA)
- Obtained favorable final judgments against infringing landowners on behalf of utility companies in federal court through motions practice and trial
- Represented general contractors, owners and subcontractors in disputes involving contract claims and business torts
- Represented natural gas companies seeking to protect their contractual easement rights against landowners in several federal lawsuits, both defensively and offensively
- Represented coal companies and their principal pursuing business tort claims before the Virginia Supreme Court, on remand to the trial court and in federal bankruptcy court proceedings
- Represented builders in a state court summary judgment action and subsequent appeal to the Virginia Supreme Court in a case involving a municipality's wrongful efforts to collect early cash proffers from developers
- William & Mary Law School, J.D.
- University of Tennessee, B.A., Political Science, summa cum laude
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Virginia
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of Virginia
- Federal Bar Association, Richmond Chapter, Board Member, 2014-Present; Secretary, 2015-2016; President, 2020; Treasurer, 2023-Present
- Virginia Bar Association, Member, 2007-Present; Board Member, 2014-Present
- John Marshall Association, Junior Board Member and Event Chair, 2016-2017
- The New Community School, Volunteer and Fundraising Committee Member, 2020-Present
- Westhampton Community Association, 2020-Present
- William & Mary Law School Alumni Association, Board Member, 2015-Present; Appellate Clinic Advisor, 2013; Reunion Committee, 2012
- Virginia Business Magazine Legal Elite, Civil Litigation, 2014-2016, 2020, 2021, 2023
- Rising Star, Virginia Super Lawyers magazine, Business Litigation, 2015-2017