Alex M. Englander
Alex M. Englander is an attorney in Holland & Knight's West Palm Beach office and a member of the firm's Litigation and Dispute Resolution Practice. Mr. Englander's practice focuses on complex commercial litigation, matters relating to cryptocurrency and blockchain technologies, asset recovery and intellectual property. Mr. Englander serves as counsel for liquidators appointed in foreign insolvency proceedings, as well as routinely represents clients on matters that require both legal and technical perspectives, such as the recovery of digital/blockchain assets and intellectual property evaluations.
Prior to becoming an attorney, Mr. Englander worked as a nuclear engineer and directed operations and training onboard a moored naval nuclear submarine. He also supervised control room and plant operations at a commercial nuclear power plant. Outside of his engineering work, Mr. Englander founded a marketing and printing company focused upon the collegiate and corporate markets.
During law school, Mr. Englander worked as a certified legal intern for the Broward County State Attorney's Office, where he prosecuted both misdemeanor and felony crimes. In this role, he had the opportunity to serve as first chair at trials, argue substantive motions and negotiate plea agreements. Mr. Englander also served as staff editor for the University of Miami Law Review.
- Counsel to the receiver of a company alleged to have engaged in initial coin offering (ICO) securities fraud, developing coding to validate victims' claims as against public and private blockchain data, approving distributions of digital assets and resolving disputes concerning digital token values
- Counsel to a cryptocurrency exchange in the recovery of stolen funds, achieving affirmation of service via non-fungible token as an acceptable means of service of process
- Counsel to a distribution agent of an U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) Fair Fund relating to an ICO securities fraud, developing coding to validate victims' claims as against public and private blockchain data
- Counsel to a global insurance brokerage in matters relating to noncompete agreements
- Counsel to the liquidators of an international cryptocurrency hedge fund, conducting worldwide discovery and the recovery of assets for creditors
- University of Miami School of Law, J.D., summa cum laude
- University of Florida, M.S., Nuclear Engineering
- University of Florida, B.S., Nuclear Engineering, with honors
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Order of the Coif, 2022
- Harvey T. Reid Scholarship, University of Miami School of Law, 2019-2021
- Bruce J. Winick Scholarship, University of Miami School of Law, 2020-2021
- Dean's List, University of Miami School of Law, 2019-2021
- CALI Excellence for the Future Award, Business Associations, University of Miami School of Law, 2021
- Director's Book Award, Litigation Skills, University of Miami School of Law, 2021