William F. Farley
William F. "Bill" Farley is an attorney in Holland & Knight's Chicago office and practices commercial litigation. Mr. Farley represents businesses in complex commercial disputes covering a broad range of legal issues, including class actions, business torts, data privacy, domestic and international supply chain disputes, and commercial landlord-tenant actions. He is also an International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP) Certified Information Privacy Professional for the U.S. private sector (CIPP/US).
Mr. Farley has helped clients resolve matters involving breach of contract, trade secret misappropriation, private shareholder rights disputes, breach of fiduciary duty and consumer fraud actions. He has also handled matters involving wills, trusts and estate disputes. His data privacy practice includes defending clients in class actions involving website wiretap litigation and biometric privacy laws such as the Illinois Biometric Information Privacy Act (BIPA), as well advising clients on compliance with data privacy laws nationwide. He handles all phases of the litigation process from pre-complaint negotiations through trial. Mr. Farley's experience also includes resolution of matters through alternative dispute resolution methods such as arbitration and mediation.
In addition to his comprehensive trial and arbitration capabilities, clients rely on Mr. Farley for creative and practical solutions and strategies to resolve disputes before litigation whenever possible. He employs a business-minded approach, and enjoys learning about his clients' industries, short-term and long-term goals and concerns. This allows Mr. Farley to play an advisory role by keeping clients informed of emerging trends in their industries, in effort to avoid potential litigation in the future or reduce liability exposure.
Mr. Farley is also an experienced appellate lawyer at the state and federal level. In particular, Mr. Farley has handled matters before the Illinois Appellate Court, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit and U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit.
Prior to joining Holland & Knight, Mr. Farley was a judicial clerk for the Honorable Joy V. Cunningham in the Illinois Appellate Court.
Mr. Farley also maintains an active pro bono practice. His notable representations include being a member of the Chicago pro bono team who helped a Togolese refugee gain asylum in the United States.
- Representation of electronics distributor in obtaining multimillion dollar pre-litigation resolution of a supply chain dispute
- Representation of building products distributor in multistate litigation against former company executives, employees and new employer for claims of breach of noncompetition and nondisclosure agreements and theft of trade secrets
- Representation of an international printing and packing client in a state court trade secret and conspiracy matter
- Representation of numerous businesses in disputes related to the purchase of goods in large-scale commercial transactions covered by the Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) and United Nations Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods (CISG)
- Representation of minority business owner in dispute against majority owners attempting to "squeeze out" minority owner at below-value equity prices
- Defense of a property preservation company in putative class action against claims for trespass and violation of Chicago's Residential Landlord and Tenant Ordinance (RLTO), successfully defeating class certification and obtaining a complete defense verdict at trial
- Defense of commercial developer in zoning lawsuit, resulting in dismissal of suit and judgment in favor of client
- Assisted in representing defendant in trademark infringement lawsuit
- Assisted in representing defendant in a patent infringement lawsuit involving illumination system for direct part mark readers
- Loyola University Chicago School of Law, J.D.
- University of Michigan, B.A., Political Science
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. Tax Court
- International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP), CIPP/US, 2020
- Chicago Bar Association
- Holland & Knight Emerging Leader, Class of 2020
- Chicago Bar Association Leadership Institute, Inaugural Class, 2016
- Annals of Health Law, The Health Policy and Law Review of Loyola University Chicago, Contributing Author