Barbara B. Ferguson
Barbara Ferguson is a private wealth services attorney in Holland & Knight's Dallas office. Ms. Ferguson focuses her practice on estate and income tax planning and probate law, marital property law, fiduciary administration and charitable planned giving.
Ms. Ferguson's experience includes drafting wills and trust agreements for individuals as well as obtaining and maintaining federal and state tax exemptions for private foundations, family business planning, probate and administration of decedents' estates and probate court litigation. She advises individual and corporate trustees and executors as to their fiduciary duties on various state law and federal tax matters, as well as the preparation of estate tax and fiduciary income tax returns. Ms. Ferguson also has a significant background in planning and implementing wealth transfers to family members and charities using testamentary and lifetime vehicles, including wills and various types of trusts and other arrangements, for families worth less than $100,000 to more than $1 billion.
In addition, Ms. Ferguson has in-depth knowledge of the reformation, modification, construction and termination of irrevocable trusts through state court proceedings, as well as the administrative aspects of federal tax law, including obtaining private letter rulings and technical advice. She also has experience serving as an expert witness in estate tax and fiduciary law disputes.
Ms. Ferguson is Board Certified in Estate Planning and Probate Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.
- Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law, J.D., with honors
- University of Houston, B.S., with highest honors
- Trusts & Estates magazine, Editorial Board Member, 2005-2017
- Dallas Bar Association Probate Council, 2008-2009
- The Dallas Foundation, Advisory Council
- American College of Trust and Estate Counsel, Fellow
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Tax Law, Trusts and Estates, 2006-2023
- Texas Super Lawyers magazine, 2003-2022
- Best Lawyers in Dallas, D Magazine, Tax: Trusts & Estates, Probate: Trust & Estates, 2005, 2011-2013, 2018, 2021
- Dallas Trusts and Estates Lawyer of the Year, The Best Lawyers in America guide, 2017
- The Nation's Top 10 Trusts & Estates Lawyers, United States Lawyer Rankings, 2010-2016
- Chambers High Net Worth guide, 2016
- Best Women Lawyers in Dallas, D Magazine, 2010
- Best Personal Lawyers in Dallas, D Magazine, Trusts and Estates, 2009