Brian Goodrich is an experienced regulatory attorney in Holland & Knight's Dallas office. Mr. Goodrich helps banks, financial institutions and companies navigate complex regulations and enforcement actions related to all facets of consumer financial services, including marketing and advertising, fair lending, reporting and decisions being made based on consumer credit, receiving payments from consumers and the use of consumer information. He also advises companies on how to reduce their risk profile in relation to consumer protection concerns when looking to bring innovative products and technology to market.
As a member of Holland & Knight's Consumer Protection Defense and Compliance Team, Mr. Goodrich possesses significant experience defending clients subject to investigations and inquiries by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB), Federal Trade Commission (FTC), U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) and state attorneys general. Mr. Goodrich advises clients on all aspects of investigations, from responses to nonpublic civil investigative demands (CIDs) through closure or settlement negotiations.
Mr. Goodrich draws upon his experience to help banks, lenders and other financial institutions decrease their risk profile by counseling companies on specific measures to enhance and refine their corporate compliance programs. He leverages an intimate working knowledge of multiple federal and state consumer protection statutes, including the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) and Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act. He also is well versed in advising clients on unfair, deceptive, or abusive acts or practices (UDAAPs), Federal Trade Commission Act (FTCA), Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), Telemarketing Sales Rule (TSR) and Equal Credit Opportunity Act (ECOA). Mr. Goodrich actively monitors and assesses regulatory developments in the ever-evolving consumer protection space to provide clients with targeted, forward-thinking and practical counsel, including on topics such as remote notarization and consumer credit decisioning.
In addition, Mr. Goodrich utilizes his regulatory skills to assist the firm's higher education clients. As a member of Holland & Knight's Education Team, he has represented multiple higher education institutions in connect with appeals of Final Audit Determinations issued by the U.S. Department of Education (ED). He also regularly advises institutions on various issues relating to ED regulations, including ED's ban on incentive compensation.
Finally, Mr. Goodrich rounds out his practice with federal and state litigation and arbitration experience in a wide range of matters, advising on all aspects of the dispute resolution process.
- Defended multiple companies in Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) and Federal Trade Commission (FTC) investigations involving allegations of deceptive, unfair and abusive business practices
- Resolved a multiyear FTC investigation conducted by the FTC's Southwest Dallas Region involving allegations of deceptive sales representations, fees and deficient compliance protocols
- Defended a regional bank in a lending discrimination investigation before the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ)
- Defended a major debt collection company in a CFPB investigation involving allegations of deceptive, unfair and abusive business practices
- Operationalized and managed a large-scale research and advisory project designed to distill all state laws applicable to the operations and services of a large national bank
- Developed compliance guidance regarding the utilization of remote online notarization by financial institutions
- Developed new and enhanced existing compliance management systems focused on addressing policies and implementation related to consumer complaints and marketing practices
- Developed Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) compliance solutions for financial technology (FinTech) companies offering consumer data solutions, including consumer-permissioned data access
- Represented financial technology (FinTech) companies in submitting comments to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) on a range of consumer data regulatory issues
- Assisted a hedge fund in arbitration to enforce a multimillion-dollar breach of promissory notes
- Assisted companies in defending and bringing claims for fraud, breach of contract and misappropriation of trade secrets
- Advised companies and education institutions regarding compliance with Title IV and other regulations related to student financial aid
- Defended private education institutions in connection with appeals of audit findings issued by the U.S. Department of Education
- Boston University School of Law, J.D., cum laude
- American University, B.A., magna cum laude
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
- One to Watch, The Best Lawyers in America guide, Dallas Communications Law, 2024
- Holland & Knight Pro Bono All-Star, 2020, 2021