Brian Goodrich is an attorney in Holland & Knight's Dallas office. Mr. Goodrich's practice spans both regulatory and litigation matters, primarily in the financial services and education industries.
As a member of Holland & Knight's Consumer Protection Defense and Compliance Team, Mr. Goodrich possesses significant experience defending clients in consumer protection regulatory investigations, developing effective regulatory compliance programs, and navigating the array of regulations and laws applicable to financial institutions that advertise and offer consumer financial services and products. He has defended multiple clients subject to investigations and inquiries by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB), Federal Trade Commission (FTC), U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) and state attorneys general. Mr. Goodrich advises clients on all aspects of investigations, from responses to nonpublic civil investigative demands (CIDs) through closure or settlement negotiations.
Mr. Goodrich regularly assists financial services clients engaged in product development to analyze and understand potential regulatory compliance obligations, as well as to develop practical and efficient regulatory risk mitigation strategies. He has an intimate and working knowledge of multiple federal and state consumer protection statutes, including the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) and Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act. He also is well-versed in advising on unfair, deceptive, or abusive acts or practices (UDAAPs), Federal Trade Commission Act (FTCA), Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), Credit Repair Organizations Act (CROA), Telemarketing Sales Rule (TSR) and Equal Credit Opportunity Act (ECOA). Mr. Goodrich actively monitors and assesses regulatory developments in the ever-evolving consumer protection space to provide clients with targeted, forward-thinking and practical counsel.
In addition, Mr. Goodrich utilizes his regulatory skills to assist the firm's higher education clients. As a member of Holland & Knight's Education Team, he has represented multiple higher education institutions in connect with appeals of Final Audit Determinations issued by the U.S. Department of Education (ED). He also regularly advises institutions on various issues relating to ED regulations, including ED's ban on incentive compensation.
Finally, Mr. Goodrich rounds out his practice with federal and state litigation and arbitration experience in a wide range of matters involving breach of contract, fraudulent inducement and other commercial disputes. He represents clients faced with current or potential litigation in the financial services and healthcare industries, advising on all aspects of the dispute resolution process.
During law school, Mr. Goodrich was the editor-in-chief of the Boston University International Law Journal. He also participated in the Phillip C. Jessup International Law Moot Court competition, in which his team won the First Place Memorial Award.
- Defended multiple companies in Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) and Federal Trade Commission (FTC) investigations involving allegations of deceptive, unfair and abusive business practices
- Defended a regional bank in a lending discrimination investigation before the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ)
- Defended a major debt collection company in a CFPB investigation involving allegations of deceptive, unfair and abusive business practices
- Defended an entertainment website in a Federal Trade Commission (FTC) privacy and data breach matter
- Defended a target of a consumer protection investigation conducted by the attorney general for the District of Columbia
- Represented financial technology (FinTech) companies in submitting comments to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) on a range of consumer data regulatory issues
- Developed compliance guidance regarding the utilization of remote online notarization (RON) by financial institutions
- Developed new and enhanced existing compliance management systems focused on addressing policies and implementation related to consumer complaints and marketing practices
- Developed Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) compliance solutions for financial technology (FinTech) companies offering consumer data solutions, including consumer-permissioned data access
- Assisted a hedge fund in arbitration to enforce a multimillion-dollar breach of promissory notes
- Assisted companies in defending and bringing claims for fraud, breach of contract and misappropriation of trade secrets
- Advised companies and education institutions regarding compliance with Title IV and other regulations related to student financial aid
- Defended private education institutions in connection with appeals of audit findings issued by the U.S. Department of Education
- Boston University School of Law, J.D., cum laude
- American University, B.A., magna cum laude
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- Holland & Knight Pro Bono All-Star, 2020