Edwin L. Hall is a construction attorney focusing on complex procurements, agreements and transactions, as well as litigation, including jury trials, arbitrations and mediations. He represents clients in transactions and litigation matters throughout the United States.
- Owner Agreements with Contractors: Regularly represents owners in the drafting and negotiating of their agreements for design services, as well as construction management services for commercial, residential and retail projects of various sizes and complexity
- Owner Agreements with Contractors: Represents contractors in their negotiations of agreements with owners, subcontractors and design professionals. Mr. Hall counsels clients on the performance of contract requirements throughout the stages of projects.
- Maryland Department of Transportation's Purple Line Project: Represented a proposed supply, operation and maintenance contractor in its negotiations of the supply agreement with the engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) contractor and the operations and maintenance agreement with the concessionaire
- Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority's Light Rail Vehicle Procurement: Represented a light rail vehicle (LRV) supplier to the Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority (LACMTA) in its drafting and negotiating of a standard form purchase agreement for its suppliers on an $800 million project to provide dozens of LRVs to the LACMTA
- Puerto Rico Integrated Transit Authority: Assisted public authority with procurements related to their efforts to become a Federal Transit Administration grantee, including developing Requests for Proposals and Invitations for Bids, establishing procurement procedures and processes, and project management of procurement processes
- Operations and Maintenance Agreements: Assisting an international operations and maintenance contractor with reviewing various states' transportation authorities' requests for proposals and negotiating the resulting agreements
- Automated Vehicles (AV): Representing various AV companies in developing their legal strategy for testing vehicles in Massachusetts
- Defense of Major Telecommunications Network Owner in Engineering and Commercial Contract Matters: Defended major telecommunications network owner, in the trial court and on appeal, against large-scale breach of contract claims by the design-builder of its 1,200-mile fiber optic broadband cable system. See G4S Technology, LLC v. Massachusetts Technology Park Corporation, 33 Mass. L. Rep. 301 (2016), 34 Mass. L. Rep. 142 (2017); 479 Mass. 721, 99 N.E.3d 728 (2018). Also served as trial and appellate counsel for network owner in obtaining state and federal court injunctions requiring the operator of the network, and its foreign parent company, to perform their contractual obligations with respect to the continued operation of the network after they defaulted on same, and successfully defended federal court injunction on appeal. See Axia NetMedia Corporation v. Mass. Tech. Park Corp., 252 F.Supp.3d 52 (D. Mass. 2017), aff'd, 889 F.3d 1 (1st Cir. 2018).
- Defense of Major Telecommunications Network Owner Against $14 Million Breach of Contract Claim: Defended a major telecommunications network owner against breach-of-contract and related claims by the design-builder of its 1,200-mile fiber optic network in Western Massachusetts; obtained summary judgment dismissing all claims against the client on grounds of intentional breach of contract by the claimant following a year of court hearings, electronic discovery and depositions of witnesses
- Defense of International Contractor Against Breach and Fraud Claims: Defended a large, international contractor against breach-of-contract and fraud claims for more than $30 million by the owner of a complex pharmaceutical processing facility; filed mechanic's lien action as well as counterclaims seeking recovery of more than $20 million
- Defense of Owner of a Tax-Credit Financed Housing Project Against Wrongful Termination Claim: Represented the developer of a multi-unit residential complex financed with low income and historic tax credits against claims by its construction manager that the owner had wrongfully terminated its contract for the construction of the project; the claims by the construction manager, as well as the developer's claims, against the construction manager for breach of contract and fraud were successfully resolved through mediation and direct settlement discussions
- Arbitration Award Against Supplier on a Wind Turbine Construction Project: Represented the civil and site contractor in an arbitration against a supplier who provided the concrete for 19 wind turbines; the arbitration resulted in the dismissal of the supplier's claims against the contractor as well as an award of more than half a million dollars against the supplier
- Arbitration Award Against Architect on a Historic Condominium Rehabilitation Project: Successfully represented the owner of a historic, residential condominium project in Boston in its claims against an architect for errors and omissions in the design documents; the arbitrator awarded the owner nearly half a million dollars on its claims and dismissed the architect's claims against the owner for unpaid fees