Jason E. Havens
Jason E. Havens is a highly experienced business and tax attorney who uses creative problem solving and strategic insight to achieve planning objectives for high-net-worth individuals, families, and charitable organizations. He specializes in complex estate and charitable gift planning (domestic and international), wills and trusts, probate and trust administration, and probate and trust litigation.
Since 2009, The Florida Bar has certified Mr. Havens as a Board Certified Specialist in Wills, Trusts and Estates Law. Since 2010, the Estate Law Specialist Board has certified Mr. Havens as an Estate Planning Law Specialist in Tennessee, as listed on the Roll of Certified Legal Specialists of the Tennessee Commission on Continuing Legal Education. He also is a Fellow of The American College of Trust and Estate Counsel (ACTEC).
Charitable Planning and Organizations. Tax law considerations, finance, and fundraising efforts are critical to the survival of nonprofit and tax-exempt organizations. Mr. Havens is committed to providing charitable planning advice for donors and private clients as well as entities of all types. He has extensive experience in partnership and S corporation matters revolving around the implementation of charitable gift planning for private clients. Mr. Havens also has extensive experience advising exempt organizations on planned giving issues, tax issues, donor advised funds, and asset protection issues, including the use of supporting organizations. He advises donors and exempt organizations on international activities and grants, including multiple charities focused on caring for orphaned children in central Africa.
Complex Estate Planning for High-Net-Worth Clients. The intricate estate planning challenges encountered by many high-net-worth individuals and families require a high level of insight into the evolving state of tax laws, market conditions, and family business situations. As one of only two board certified attorneys in Wills, Trusts and Estates Law in the Destin and Rosemary Beach area, Mr. Havens has used his specialization and sophisticated estate planning advice to build a strong base of affluent clients from throughout the Southeast, including Atlanta, Birmingham, Dallas, Houston, Louisville, Memphis, and Nashville, with whom he works through the Tallahassee office. Mr. Havens has also advised domestic clients with international holdings as well as international clients who need business entities, trusts, or a combination of structures to achieve their planning objectives.
Trust and Estate Administration and Litigation. Mr. Havens advises fiduciaries and exempt organizations in administering trusts and estates being probated, which generally is the implementation phase of the planning described above. He also has utilized Florida’s judicial trust reformation provisions to modify numerous irrevocable trusts, including charitable trusts, due to changes in circumstances or tax laws. Mr. Havens has represented fiduciaries and, in limited circumstances, beneficiaries in state and federal courts, including coordination and leadership of internal and external counsel and other professionals to defend against or pursue litigation of complex tax and/or trust issues.
- Regent University School of Law, LL.M., International Taxation
- University of Miami School of Law, LL.M., Estate Planning
- University of Tennessee College of Law, J.D.
- Lipscomb University, B.A., magna cum laude
- American College of Trust and Estate Counsel, Charitable Planning and Exempt Organizations Committee, Member, 2020-Present
- American College of Trust and Estate Counsel, Tax Policy Study Committee, Member, 2020-Present
- American College of Trust and Estate Counsel, Fellow
- Chapter 617 Task Force (Corporations Not For Profit Statute), The Florida Bar
- Charitable Planning and Exempt Organizations Committee, Vice Chair, The Florida Bar, Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section, 2019-2021
- Estate Law Specialist Board, Inc. (ELSB), Director, 2012-2022; Secretary/Treasurer, 2013; President, 2014-2015
- American Bar Association, Conservation Easement Task Force, 2015-2018
- American Bar Association, Section of Real Property, Trust & Estate Law, Charitable Organizations Committee, Co-Chair, 2011-2015
- American Bar Association, Section of Real Property, Trust & Estate Law, Charitable Planning Committee, Co-Chair, 2007-2011
- Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP), Trust and Estate Practitioner, 2010
- National Association of Estate Planners and Councils, Accredited Estate Planner (AEP), 2009
- American Bar Association, Section of Real Property, Trust & Estate Law, Editor, "Technology: Probate," Probate & Property, 2004-2018
- American Bar Association, Section of Taxation, Exempt Organizations Committee, 2006-2018
- American Bar Foundation, Fellow, 2006
- Estate Planning Council of the Emerald Coast, President, 2004-2005
- University of Tennessee College of Law Alumni Council, 2015-2021
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Nonprofit/Charities Law, 2021-2023
- Florida Super Lawyers magazine, 2013-2022
- Tennessee Supreme Court Pro Bono Service Award, Attorney for Justice, 2019, 2020
- Holland & Knight Pro Bono All-Star, 2020, 2021
- Albert Nelson Marquis Lifetime Achievement Award, 2018
- Holland & Knight Public and Charitable Service All-Star, 2017
- Rising Star, Florida Super Lawyers magazine, 2011-2012
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Peer Review Rating