Loren Higgins, an attorney in Holland & Knight's San Francisco office, represents financial institutions, including banks, Farm Credit System lenders and specialty lenders, in all aspects of real estate secured financing transactions.
Ms. Higgins' practice primarily focuses on the financing of specialty real estate assets, including medical office buildings, senior housing and skilled nursing facilities, hospitals, life science facilities and other healthcare assets, wineries and vineyards, orchards, timberlands, renewable energy projects, self-storage facilities and sports arenas. She also has extensive experience representing clients in the purchase and sale of self-storage facilities as well as land for development.
In addition, Ms. Higgins has significant experience representing clients in distressed situations and has represented financial institutions in connection with foreclosures and deeds-in-lieu of foreclosure, restructurings and workouts of secured loans, and in the transactional aspects of debtor-in-possession financings and Section 363 sales.
Ms. Higgins' recent engagements include the following:
- counsel to administrative agent and lenders in numerous financing transactions providing in excess of $2 billion in financing secured by medical office, senior housing and life science portfolios located across the United States. Recent transactions include a $500 million syndicated credit facility secured by a portfolio of medical office projects, a $240 million syndicated credit facility secured by a portfolio of senior housing projects, and a $180 million syndicated credit facility secured by a portfolio of life science projects.
- counsel to a specialty fund in connection with acquisition financing provided to a regional hospital system located in the Pacific Northwest.
- counsel to a Farm Credit System lending institution in connection with multiple term and revolving credit facilities secured by timberlands, vineyards and wineries located in California and other crops located outside California.
- counsel to the administrative agent in connection with a $900 million syndicated credit facility made to California-based growers and processors of pistachios and almonds.
- counsel to a financial institution in connection with multiple term and revolving facilities made to California-based pistachio, citrus and almond growers.
- special counsel to various financial institutions in connection with the financing of multiple renewable energy projects located in California.
- counsel to multiple financial institutions in connection with various workouts, restructurings and enforcement actions, including foreclosures and deeds-in-lieu of foreclosure involving senior housing and other specialty assets.
- counsel to buyers and sellers in connection with the purchase and sale of numerous self-storage facilities, industrial buildings, vacant land for development and renewable energy projects.
Ms. Higgins is the co-chair of the Commercial Transactions Committee of the California Lawyers Association (formerly the UCC Committee of the California State Bar). She is the author of Taking Security Interests in Personal Property, last published by the Continuing Education of the State Bar of California in 2018.
- Harvard Law School, J.D., cum laude
- Washington and Lee University, B.A., European History, summa cum laude
- The Legal 500 USA, Real Estate, 2019, 2021