Lisa Howley is a Portland litigation attorney who represents businesses, government entities and individuals in high-stakes litigation.
Ms. Howley has extensive complex litigation experience. Her clients have included large corporations, major private equity firms and hedge funds, developers, and executives of Fortune 500 companies. Ms. Howley is well-versed in complex business disputes, shareholder litigation and derivative suits, intellectual property and trade secrets disputes, and professional negligence and fiduciary duty litigation. She also is experienced with challenges to complex, multifaceted cross-border transactions, as well as construction and employment matters, including disputes regarding executive compensation and the enforcement of restrictive covenants.
Ms. Howley's representative engagements include:
- representing a company in $30 million breach of contract and fraud claims arising from a failed acquisition in Delaware federal court
- representing a developer in a series of complex disputes with contractors and architect, resulting in favorable global settlements
- representing a minority member in a multimillion-dollar oppression suit against managing members of real estate development LLCs
- defending a multinational dental equipment manufacturer and family shareholders in a preliminary injunction and related litigation filed by a dissident shareholder seeking control of the company in Oregon state court, resulting in favorable settlement
- defending foreign hedge fund clients in U.S. state and federal court actions brought by fellow noteholders seeking to challenge clients' notes, worth several hundred million dollars, as fraudulently obtained
- defending a foreign private equity firm in a securities class action
- representing an investment firm in investigations conducted by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) into investment practices at public pension funds
Ms. Howley is also a certified yoga therapist and has done extensive volunteer work bringing yoga to underserved communities in Portland.
- Columbia Law School, J.D., Kent Scholar
- Smith College, B.A., Government, high honors
- New York
- All Appellate Courts in Oregon
- All State Courts in Oregon
- All Trial Courts in Oregon
- U.S. District Court for the District of Oregon
- Oregon State Bar, Business Litigation Section
- Multnomah Bar Association
- New York City Bar Association, Securities Litigation Committee, Former Member
- Columbia Human Rights Review, Editor-in-Chief