Susan Lafferty is an attorney in Holland & Knight's Washington, D.C., office who focuses on energy and environmental issues impacting petroleum, biofuels and energy trading industries. Ms. Lafferty is recognized as a leading energy transition adviser on regulatory, commercial and policy issues related to the Renewable Fuel Standard (RFS), renewable identification number (RIN) trading, state low carbon fuel standards (LCFS), and carbon offsets. She advises clients on compliance issues impacting an array of commodities, including gasoline, ultra-low sulfur diesel (ULSD), ethanol, biodiesel, renewable diesel, sustainable aviation fuel, renewable natural gas (RNG), responsibly sourced gas, metals and agricultural products. Under her leadership, her team has been recognized by Environmental Finance as having the best practice for Northern American Markets, RINs and renewable energy certificates (REC) from 2017-2021.
Ms. Lafferty has been at the helm on the response to dozens of enforcement matters at the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and in California. She assists clients with navigating environmental exposures involved in producing, trading and storing commodities and has advised on incident responses. Ms. Lafferty also has helped clients establish trading desks for commodities and carbon credits, including the adoption of compliance programs.
Prior to joining Holland & Knight, Ms. Lafferty was a partner at a global law firm in its Washington, D.C., office, where she served as the co-lead of the energy sector.
- Counseled producers and purchasers in multiple deals on renewable diesel, renewable natural gas (RNG) and sustainable aviation fuel offtakes
- Advised on numerous transactions involving renewable identification numbers (RINs), low carbon fuel standards (LCFS) credits and offsets, including using Local Energy Action Program (LEAP) and bespoke GTCs
- Represented an energy services provider for its biogas and collection facility
- Advised a client on federal and state biofuel mandates
- Advised in the sale of a majority equity interest in Element Markets LLC to TPG's The Rise Fund
- Aided multiple clients on U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) enforcement proceedings related to gasoline compliance and renewable identification number (RIN) validity
- Advised multiple energy clients on matters involving California's low carbon fuel standard (LCFS), including related to fuel compliance and credit validity
- Helped an international renewable diesel producer obtain its first EPA foreign producer registration
- Advised clients on greenhouse gas (GHG) rules and compliance
- Advised clients on EPA, Federal Trade Commission and California Government Code investigations and audits
- Counseled clients on oil spill risk and liability
- George Mason University School of Law, J.D.
- University of Virginia, B.A.
- District of Columbia
- Energy Bar Association
- American Bar Association (ABA), Section of Environment, Energy and Resources (SEER), Renewable, Alternative and Distributed Energy Resources Committee
- ABA, SEER, Climate Change, Sustainable Development and Ecosystems Committee
- ABA, Science and Technology Law Section
- The Legal 500 USA, Energy: Regulatory, 2015, 2019; Energy Regulatory: Oil & Gas, 2020-2022
- Attorney Intel, The Top 25 Attorneys of Virginia, 2022
- Environmental Finance, Top Practice for RINs, North American Markets (California), and RECs, 2017-2022